Fully Remote •
Are you eager to contribute your administrative expertise to combatting public health inequities in low-income communities and communities of color? ChangeLab Solutions seeks an Administrative Assistant to work closely with our staff members to advance our mission of healthier communities for all through equitable laws and policies. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Administrative Assistant performs a diverse range of essential administrative tasks that support our programs and internal operations—including scheduling, meeting preparation, webinar and event coordination, and expense report preparation.
About ChangeLab Solutions
Our mission is to create healthier communities for all through equitable laws and policies.
ChangeLab Solutions is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization that uses the tools of law and policy to advance health equity. We partner with communities across the nation to improve health and opportunity by changing harmful laws, policies, and systems. Our interdisciplinary team works with community organizations, governments, and local institutions to design and implement equitable and practical policy solutions to complex health challenges. For more information on our organization and our work, see
The successful candidate will embody our organization’s core values:
- JUSTICE: We believe that all people have the right to health, justice, dignity, and opportunity. We work to dismantle oppressive and racist systems, laws, and policies and replace them with laws and policies that address the root causes of health inequities.
- LEARNING: We are always learning. We take risks, reflecting on our failures and our successes in order to strengthen our health equity work.
- COLLABORATION: We believe that complex problems are best solved through partnerships across multiple disciplines and sectors that maximize collective resources and align actions to advance health equity.
- COMMUNITY: We learn from those we work with, and we respect lived experience. We acknowledge that our lives, histories, and futures are interconnected, yet not all voices have been equally heard or valued—which is a barrier to health and equity.
- INTEGRITY: Our solutions in service of health and equity are grounded in evidence, legal precedent, and community-led change efforts.
ChangeLab Solutions is committed to centering equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in our organizational culture, norms, practices, and policies. As an organization, we are committing time and resources to build our internal capacity and stay accountable for doing this work. As a staff, we are engaging in trainings and collective EDI work. We are eager to hire applicants who are personally dedicated to EDI and who are excited to join an organization where this work is part of the employee experience.
ChangeLab Solutions has a strong commitment to building a staff that is rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity. Candidates who can contribute to this goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
Staff Support (95%)
- Provide support for staff, including making travel arrangements, scheduling meetings, assisting with meeting preparation, taking notes at meetings, and supporting project management
- Assist in managing calendars for staff
- Process monthly expense reports for multiple staff members
- Handle special projects from staff as needed
- Attend team and project meetings
- Work with multiple staff members to coordinate grant and contract reports; enter data and run reports to track and manage deliverables
- Coordinate and deliver technical support for webinars; assist in coordinating events with external partners
Administrative Team Backup (5%)
- As a member of the Administrative team, provide backup support to other team members
- Provide administrative support to the Operations Manager as needed
Other duties as assigned.
Work Location and Expectations
This position is open to applicants throughout the United States and can be performed remotely. All applicants should be comfortable with working from home and with virtual connection programs and practices.
After adjusting to working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, ChangeLab Solutions has shifted to a virtual-first hybrid workplace that supports options for in-person and remote work. Staff members who are local to the San Francisco Bay Area have the option to work from home or in our office in Oakland, California. Staff members beyond the Bay Area work remotely. Business travel and in-person work are currently limited and will evolve in accordance with safety considerations, state and local guidelines, and organizational circumstances.
When it is safe, Bay Area staff and staff outside the Bay Area will be expected to travel to the Oakland office periodically for meetings and in-person engagement. Advance notice will be given before in-person work is requested. ChangeLab Solutions covers travel costs for staff outside the Bay Area.
ChangeLab Solutions is committed to offering a competitive compensation package that centers our values; our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion; and our mission. We seek to attract, motivate, and retain staff by compensating team members in a way that values their contributions to our organization and puts them in the best position to thrive.
In 2022, ChangeLab Solutions implemented a compensation plan with a compensation philosophy and salary structure that establish pay ranges for each position and guide compensation decisions. The plan is shared with all ChangeLab staff.
- Full-time, non-exempt position; starting hourly pay of $31.25 – $33.65 ($65,000 – $70,000 annual equivalent)
- Starting salaries are set in accordance with our compensation plan, which considers multiple individual and organizational factors, including internal equity. To uphold pay equity in alignment with the compensation plan, starting salaries are not negotiable. Before applying, please ensure that the compensation for this position meets your needs.
To support the well-being of our staff and their families, ChangeLab Solutions invests in a generous benefits program and in supports for work-life balance. Our benefit offerings include the following:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage (ChangeLab Solutions contributes 100% of employee premiums and 50% for dependent premiums)
- Long-term disability insurance and life insurance
- 403(b) plan with 3% employer contribution
- Commuter benefits and flexible spending accounts (parking, transit, dependent care, health care)
- Generous paid time off package, starting at roughly 4.5 weeks PTO annually, plus 11 holidays and weeklong closure in December
- Reimbursements to support remote and hybrid work
- Fiscally stable organization
- Work with an interdisciplinary team that is committed to a shared
- and to building a community and culture of connection and inclusivity
Required Education, Experience, and Skills
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience in an office setting; nonprofit experience a plus
- Ability to communicate clearly and directly, both verbally and in writing
- Excellent organizational skills, with keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Word and email, and the capacity to quickly learn and master new systems
- Experience in providing administrative support to multiple staff members, including scheduling assistance
- Experience in preparing intricate reports or documents (such as progress reports, grant proposals, or expense reports)
- Customer service skills
Required Personal Attributes
- Cultural humility and deep commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Ability to collaborate and thrive on multiple dynamic, fluid teams, along with individual initiative and the capacity to work independently
- A high degree of flexibility and a can-do attitude
- Talent for handling multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced setting
- Ability to communicate via phone, email, and video conference
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Ability to travel, including out-of-state travel
- For someone located outside the San Francisco Bay Area, ability to travel to the Bay Area two to four times per year
- Ability to lift and carry 10 pounds
Application and Hiring Process
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit all required information via our Paylocity recruiting portal.
The following items are required for a complete application packet. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Answers to the short-answer questions found in the online application
The preferred application deadline is June 12, 2022. After that date, we will continue to review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Target Start Date
Flexible start date, ideally between mid-July and early August.
The hiring process will likely include a 30-minute phone interview, followed by 1-2 rounds of video interviews with a panel of ChangeLab Solutions staff members via Zoom, and one work exercise.
If you require accommodations during the interview process or work exercise, please share your request when your interview is scheduled.