Title: Analytics Engineer
Location: Remote, Anywhere
The main focus of this role will be our operational platform data. We generate an enormous amount of data in the routine operations of our platform, and we want to put it to work improving reporting and automating operational processes. Big Data scale metrics will be a focus, so an awareness of BigQuery cost drivers will be required. You need not possess the skills now, but you will need to be literate and aware of how to work with big datasets while keeping an eye on costs.
The ideal candidate can be flexible in hours but comfortable being available 9a-1p EST.
What you can expect to do on a daily basis
- Learn the ins and outs of how our data is represented in our BigQuery warehouse. Transforming, enriching, and relating these data with SQL and dbt into meaningful, business oriented data sets is the job.
- Grow into the role of liaison between our data team and other teams in the company. We look forward to helping you become an expert on our data while you build an understanding of their needs and processes.
- Scope and build a reporting structure based on our platform operational data to meet the needs of our fellow Platformers.
- Nurture your curiosity to not only know what is going on across the operation but also why.
- Advise teammates on best practices with large-scale datasets
What you bring
- A caring mindframe and an empathetic spirit. The ability to think from other perspectives is a kindness we ask of all teammates.
- Thorough skill with writing SQL. This is a SQL first position – we use dbt to manage our Transform layer to connect our raw data with our end users.
- An enthusiastic understanding of data process analysis and implementation, with experience doing needs assessments.
- Comfortable interfacing with multiple teams and working directly with teammates to identify common solutions.
- Clear communication in written and spoken English.
Nice to have
- Familiarity with dbt, Git, Python, or Platform.sh.
- Creative energy for data visualization.
What we bring as a team
- The mission of the Data and Analytics Department is to make Platform.sh smarter by enabling a deeper understanding of our customers and our internal operations.
- We understand that success is a journey of improvement, and as such, it comes in many forms and relies on iteration and continuously adopting the next right thing.
- We uphold an environment of trust, communication, inclusivity, and innovation.
This is a remote job. Work from anywhere!
We’re a worldwide, distributed team looking for the best talent. Our remote model has been in practice and thriving since 2014. To us, remote work means flexibility and having truly diverse, global teams.
As a side effect of teams being spread across time zones, you may have to tolerate occasional early morning meetings if you live in the Americas, or late night meetings if you live in an APAC country*. We do our best to accommodate time zones but there are preferred hours for certain roles and teams. The team you interview with will be able to give you a clear idea of their collaborative hours.
* Some teams are extremely flexible with no odd-hour meetings while others have planned on-call or necessary times. Actual flexibility is dependent on the role, team and location.
Company perks and benefits
- Leadership that cares
- A global team rich with culture and diversity
- An open work environment where your voice is encouraged. We can always find ways to do better and look forward to hearing your ideas.
- A product you can believe in. We’re changing the way companies develop and manage their web applications
- Wellness stipend of $300 a year
- Professional development budget of $800
- Tandem a pool of linguists from around the world willing to help each other work on learning new languages
- $3,000 office budget at hire (computer is mandatory but spend the rest on things that help you work, from headphones to a wifi extender) and a welcome kit of branded swag
- A yearly global gift exchange – get paired up with someone 3,000 miles or kilometers away and share a part of your home
- We’re voted as A Best Place to Work. 96% of employees think Platform.sh is a great place to work
- Company-wide DE&I initiative that you can be a part of
- Yearly, international, company-wide meetups (when we’re not experiencing a pandemic)
- Fair PTO based on your country’s standards
- Inclusive parental leave (timeline is country-dependent)
- Remote working/flexibility
- Healthcare, dental, and vision (US, CA, UK and FR staff only)
- Matched contributions to 401K/RRSP (US and Canada staff only)