Title: Ancillary – Medical Coder
Location: Dallas TX US
Job Category: Clinical
Job Type: Full-time
Travel Percentage: -1
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Combine two of the fastest – growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that’s improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn’t about another gadget, it’s about making Healthcare data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There’s no room for error. Join us and start doing your life’s best work.SM
This position is full – time. Employees are required to work any shift (40 hours / week) between Tuesday – Saturday OR Sunday – Thursday (flexible hours) including the flexibility to work occasional overtime and 1 weekend based on business needs.
We offer 4 weeks of training. Training will be conducted virtually from your home.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
- Identify appropriate assignment of CPT and ICD-10 Codes for outpatient ancillary services while adhering to the official coding guidelines and established client coding guidelines of the assigned facility
- Apply coding knowledge to analyze/correct CCI Edits and Medical Necessity Edits
- Understand the Medicare Ambulatory Payment Classification (APC) codes
- Abstract additional data elements during the chart review process when coding, as needed
- Adhere to the ethical standards of coding as established by AAPC and/or AHIMA
- Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both coding quality and productivity as established by Optum360
- Provide documentation feedback to providers, as needed, and query physicians when appropriate
- Maintain up-to-date coding knowledge by reviewing materials disseminated / recommended by the QM Manager, Coding Operations Managers, and Director of Coding / Quality Management, among others
- Participate in coding department meetings and educational events
- Review and maintain a record of charts coded, held, and / or missing
- Additional responsibilities as identified by manager
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- High School Diploma / GED (or higher)
- 2+ years of Outpatient Facility coding experience
- Professional coder certification with credentialing from AHIMA and / OR AAPC (ROCC, CPC, COC, CPC – P, CCS) to be maintained annually
- ICD – 10 experience
- Ability to use a PC in a Windows environment, including MS Excel and EMR systems
- Ability to work any shift (40 hours / week) between Tuesday – Saturday OR Sunday – Thursday (flexible hours) including the flexibility to work occasional overtime and 1 weekend based on business need
- Experience with various encoder systems (eCAC,3M, EPIC)
- Intermediate level of experience with Microsoft Excel (create, data entry, save)
- Experience with OSHPD reporting
- Required to have a dedicated work area established that is separated from other living areas and provides information privacy
- Ability to keep all company sensitive documents secure (if applicable)
- Must live in a location that can receive a UnitedHealth Group approved high-speed internet connection or leverage an existing high-speed internet service
UnitedHealth Group requires all new hires and employees to report their COVID-19 vaccination status.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $18.17 – $32.26. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $20.00 – $35.53. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Additional Job Detail Information
- Phoenix, AZ, US
- Hartford, CT, US
- Tampa, FL, US
- Minneapolis, MN, US