at Catch Co.
Catch Co. is looking for a results-driven Associate Buyer for the Shop Karl’s team who is passionate about solving problems and identifying and actioning creative ways to drive their Category. We are seeking a candidate with a sound understanding of all the areas of category management and the buying process, who is hungry to learn and take ownership of a category. This person will also work closely with the Karl’s Buying, site Merchandising, and store teams, while closely supporting the fishing buyer across multiple related categories.This responsibility spans both our website (shopkarls.com) and Karl’s brick & mortar stores.
What you will do:
- Identifying Key Assortment Opportunities
- Identify 3rd party vendor assortment gaps needed to drive optimal sales, gross profit margin, and customer transactions
- Develop strong recommendations for OEM/Private Label product roadmap based on assortment needs and differentiation opportunities
- Create opportunities for Karl’s to differentiate through exploration of category white space, competitive analysis, and industry trend analysis
- Gain access to key brands and product needed for a complete and competitive assortment
- Negotiations Program support & competitive pricing
- Negotiate competitive pricing to support Karl’s Membership discounts while maintaining gross margin goals
- Create leverage and partner opportunities with vendors to support inventory buy backs, preseason discounts, and promotional support needed to drive additional sales and gross margin opportunities
- Promotional & Merchandising Planning
- Develop a promotional planning schedule across all advertising channels for selected category to drive business throughout the year
- Utilize promotional opportunities to deplete overstock and showcase new product launches
- Find creative solutions to build the customer basket and increase average order value through simplifying the shopping experience and bundling opportunities.
- Inventory replenishment and PO & SKU Creation support
- Work cross-functionally to generate all replenishment, promotional and new SKU POs across all Fishing categories
- Lead the new SKU creation process and maintenance across all Fishing categories
What experience you need:
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in relevant business field preferred (ex. Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Economics)
- 2-5 years managing product categories or buying experience OR 5+ years of related business experience (Retail or e-commerce strong preference)
- Proficiency in Excel (specifically: be able to create pivot tables & Vlookup)
Experience that is helpful, but not required:
- A sound understanding of the fishing industry or knowledge of fishing is recommended, but not required.
- Any formal negotiation training/classes is a plus.
What will make you successful:
- Resiliency & Persistence: You’re able to work through tough situations and persevere to get to the right solutions. You’re not discouraged by setbacks and failures.
- Openness to Uncertainty: You do not need structure to succeed and can work through unknowns
- Attention to Detail: You do not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Follow-Through: You set goals and complete them.
- Time Management: You have the ability to maintain priorities in a fast pace environment by managing your time well.
- Willingness to Learn: You are excited to learn and willing to adapt to changing circumstances. You enthusiastically consider new information and other points of view.
What is Catch Co?
At Catch Co, our purpose is to rescue humanity from the indoors by connecting them with America’s top outdoor sport: fishing. More than 50 million Americans fish every year and Catch Co is the industry leader in creating products, content, and experiences that modern anglers love. Most importantly, we aim to be the industry’s most data-driven and customer-centric company.
We are building 3 unique businesses to deliver on that mission:
- Mystery Tackle Box – Founded in 2012, MTB is the most popular fishing subscription service in the world, with over 5 million boxes shipped (and counting!).
- Karl’s Bait and Tackle – Launched in 2018, Karl’s is a unique and exciting ecommerce experience that brings the local tackle shop to the Internet.
- Catch Co. fishing products – Catch Co also designs and develops some of fishing’s most popular and innovative brands and products, sold online and in retail throughout the world.
To support these businesses, we have built a best-in-class foundation of creativity, technology, data, and a fun and supportive culture. We have also built durable partnerships with some of the industry’s most impactful content creators, influencers, product designers, and more.
As we execute against our mission, our team members remain curious, action-oriented, and collaborative. If that sounds like you, we would love to meet you.
Everybody can fish with us!
These are our core values:
- Passion: We love what we do and we take pride in our work.
- Action: We work hard to get stuff done, with urgency.
- Optimism: We believe that we will succeed, and we are willing to keep trying new things.
- Honesty: We tell it like it is, communicate issues, take accountability and use data to make decisions. We are transparent with customers, partners and employees.
- Curiosity: We look for ways to make things better. We focus on solutions, not problems.
- #happydance: We create happiness for our customers and for each other.
Our culture is fast-moving, hardworking, welcoming and friendly, and we keep our calendar full of opportunities to learn from coworkers and foster community. We love a good team event (like trivia or Quiplash), continued learning (fireside chats led by colleagues), and niche Slack channels like #mlb, #bachelor, #unpopular_opinions, #badjokes and #smallwins.
Catch Co. is passionate about creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Catch Co. recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other protected status.
Benefits for full-time employees: We believe…
…in rescuing humanity from the indoors
- 3 week explore your passion paid sabbatical every 3 years of tenure
- flexible remote work
- take what you need paid time off
- 11 annual company holidays
- free Karl’s Club membership and $100 in shopkarls.com credit each year
- free MTB Pro monthly subscription
- various all company outdoor events
- outdoor industry discount program
…In supporting our people, as people
- wellness events through Bright.com
- 401(K) match program and financial planning education
- $600 work from home stipend
- $50/month internet stipend
- medical, dental and vision insurance (premium covered 80-100%)
- paid parental leave
- employee assistance program (EAP)
- health savings accounts or flexible spending accounts
- employer-sponsored disability insurance
- employer-sponsored life insurance
- pet insurance
- pre-tax commuter benefits
- and more optional plans: legal, identity theft, accident, etc
…Our best perk is our community and optimistic coworkers
- community-building house system
- core value awards
- team-building events
- company sponsored employee intramural teams
- incredibly active Slack community
- all company bi-annual retreats (B.A.S.S. week)
- employee passion groups (ex: Sustainability, Catch Co Gives Back)
- employee resource groups (ERGs) through True Ventures
…In investing in lifelong curiosity and passion
- history of bass fishing presentations
- peer-led fireside chats
- all company organizational development
- management & leadership development
- external education and training reimbursement program
…In paying people fairly
- annual base compensation benchmarking review
- annual options grants benchmarking review
…We’re all partners on this fishing trip and each of us is responsible for contributing to the success of our purpose, mission and vision
- bi-annual development reviews
- visibility to all company OKR’s (objective & key results) and progress