Terms of Reference
Associate RSD Officer (Exclusion Expert), P2, 2 positions
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a 6-month full-time temporary assignment within the Protection team in our Kigali Office.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
- Title: Associate RSD Officer (Exclusion Expert)
- Duty Station: Kigali, Rwanda
- Duration: 6 months
- Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
- Closing date: 30 November 2021
- Start date: As soon as possible
Rwanda hosts approximately 127,000 persons of concern to UNHCR. Majority are from Burundi and DRC, and are recognized as prima facie refugees by the Government of Rwanda. The operation seeks to timely identify durable solutions for a specific caseload in the operation; as such, additional case processing interviews including RSD interviews and legal assessments, particularly exclusion analysis may be required for several cases.
We are seeking a dynamic and proactive team player, with extensive RSD experience, including exclusion interview and legal assessment drafting. Previous resettlement case management experience is considered an asset as the purpose of the project is to process the caseload for urgent/emergency resettlement. Fluency in French and English in mandatory.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conducting RSD interviews in French and English and drafting legal assessments.
- Conducting pre-screening interviews.
- Exclusion and cancellation analysis.
- Supporting RST and complementary pathway unit in identification and service delivery for the above cases as needed.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum two years of RSD experience, ideally within UNHCR mandate operations.
- Proven experience in conducting complex case processing, such exclusion and cancellation.
- Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Fluency in English and French.
- Familiarity with Kirundi and/or Kinyarwanda and/or Swahili is an asset.
- Experience using the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Genuine desire to learn and develop.
- Be highly organised and have good attention to detail.
- Be able to multi-task and to prioritise workload.
- Be a flexible, team-player.
The successful candidate will be based in the Protection team in Kigali, Rwanda; and will report to the Protection Officer.
The assignment is for six months and the start date is as soon as possible. It is a full-time role with working hours starting from 8.00 am to 5:30 pm Monday to Thursday, and 8:00 to 2:00 pm on Fridays (40 hours per week).
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to apply on the UNHCR career page at www.unhcr.org/careers – by clicking on the Vacancies tab and entering job ID 29671.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date is Tuesday 30 November 2021 (midnight Geneva time).