Title: Morning Blogger, The Cut (Part Time)
Location: NYC/Remote (US Only)
WHO WE ARE
New York Magazine and The Cut are part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Cut is looking for a Morning Blogger to write news stories across all areas of the site Power, Culture, Self, and Style from Monday-Thursday, 7am-1pm, and Friday, 7am-noon. This person will kick start the day for our readers, identifying the most important news stories and writing them up with the Cut’s voice and style. They’ll likely contribute 2-4 stories per shift, with the expectation that the first post be up by 10:00 AM.
We’re looking for someone who obsessively follows the news (from politics to celebrity) and knows what makes a Cut story. You should have strong news judgment, a thorough understanding of SEO, and a good sense of humor!
WHO YOU ARE
- Work with and report to the News Editor, who oversees all news posts on the blog
- From 7-8am: identify a story to write up, conceive of the proper way to do it from the Cut’s point of view, and pitch headlines
- Write up to 4 short news posts per day, aiming to engage readers with the Cut’s tone
- Closely follow politics, culture trends, and celebrity news
- Be actively monitoring social media to keep on top of breaking news and current trends
- 2 years of writing experience
- Ability to work independently
- Write quickly and cleanly, as your day begins before the editors’ do
- Experience with SEO
- Strong understanding of Cut tone and sensibility
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote/in office/flex. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a part-time, freelance role. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life.