Call for Application
Open for External & Internal Candidates
Position Title: Consultant, Civil Engineer (2 positions)
Duty Station: Amman, Jordan
Classification: Non Staff, Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultancy
CFA number: FACFAJO/001/2022
Issue Date : 14 Feb 2022
Closing Date : 20 Feb 2022
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
In Jordan, IOM works with the Jordanian Government to assist migrants in need, promote migrants’ rights, and respond to growing migration management challenges. Since being established, country office activities have expanded to include programmes on building capacity of the Jordanian Government to improve migration management and direct assistance of migrants in need. Most recently, and as part of the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) regional response to the Syrian Crisis, IOM in Jordan has been assisting refugees in Jordan with emergency evacuation assistance to Syrians from borders to camps, providing primary health care and tuberculosis screening and awareness raising for Syrians and host communities, and repatriation assistance to Third Country Nationals (TCNs) fleeing from Syria into Jordan. Since the start of the pandemic, IOM Jordan has also been actively engaged in the implementation of the complex actions designed to mitigate COVID-19 effects on the country in close partnership with the relevant stakeholders.
Organizational Context and Scope
With the framework of a Canadian funded project, IOM will support the Jordanian armed forces in increasing their capacity to deploy female border guards through building two new female accommodation buildings in Amman and Aqaba
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of the MMU, and in close coordination with project manager and the Department of Resource Management and Logistics/Procurement Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical assistance to the MMU in particular.
Objectives and Expected Outputs and Deliverables
Building layout and overall recommendations:
Provide guidance for potential construction/rehabilitation for any site, including the installation of prefabs, as required. Guidance should include recommendations for cost-effectiveness and attention to environmental sustainability.
Bidding and Award of contract:
• Create/ review Layout drawings, scaled building plans, standard details, component schedules for each site;
• Review /create Bills of quantity (BOQs) for each site separately (including brands and expected market prices of services, if applicable).
Development of Monitoring tools
In close coordination with the supervisor, assist in development of standard forms / tools for regular monitoring and reporting including progress of work, adequacy of materials used, and details of work done along with measurements to show compliance with the BOQ.
Work Monitoring In coordination with the supervisor, assist in Issuance of instructions to the contractor (s) and provide engineering supervision to the execution of works.
• Verify quality control of materials on site and proper storage to avoid damage.
• Measure work done as basis for facilitating payments to the contractor (s) at agreed stages of construction. Detailed measurements of the works shall however be recorded jointly with the Contractor and get the same verified as duplicate record and shall be attached with the Contractor’s bills.
• Issue variation orders to the contractor(s) with IOM’s approval to be reviewed by IOM Engineer for justified variations
• Prepare periodical site progress reports whose nature and frequency will be reviewed for submission to the Project manager.
• In close coordination with IOM Engineer facilitate regular site meetings between the main contractor and sub-contractors to resolve issues arising. Minutes to be shared with IOM for decision making and filing.
• In coordination with IOM Engineer, review and produce “As Built” drawings reflecting the actual works executed.
• Supervise the contractor in all matters concerning the environment and safety of the work and advise IOM on any problem arising in the construction work during its execution.
• In consultation and close coordination with IOM Engineer, verify the construction materials brought to site by the contractor(s) are in accordance with the specifications and are tested as per standard practices.
• Submit periodic reports in respect of receipt and test of materials.
• Check systematically the progress of work according to the construction schedule of the agreement and shall submit monthly progress report in the prescribed form to IOM pointing out the deficiencies and suggest remedial measures.
• Keep all the record of daily inspection reports in the prescribed forms at the site office and submit it on weekly basis.
• Coordinate adequate distribution of labour on site including skilled and unskilled labourers as well as availability of sufficient construction materials on site at any given stage in construction
• Provide any additional technical advice that will help the successful completion of the project.
The expected duration of the Consultancy is one month.
Minimum Qualification and Experience
• Completed bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution in civil or structural engineering.
• Ten years of relevant professional experience as an engineer/architect including waste management and building services expertise; familiarity with simple sustainable measures (desirable).
• Two – Four years of previous experience in contracting renovation, maintenance, and construction works
• Experience in Solar work is a plus.
• Excellent writing and speaking skills in English. Arabic is an asset
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencieValues:• Inclusion and respect for diversity – respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.• Integrity and transparency – maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.• Professionalism – demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
• Teamwork – develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results – produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge – continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability – takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication – encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internals of the Organization and NMS candidates, as well as external female candidates, will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this Call for Application is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable. In addition to a clearance from the local government “Court Clearance”.
How to apply
Interested external candidates are invited to submit their applications plus a cover letter via Akhtaboot website, by 20 February 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement and CFA’s # CFAJO/001/2022- Akhtaboot CFA’s # 149773
Interested Internal candidates need to submit their application plus a motivation letter to email@example.com by 20 February 2022, their updated IOM Personal History (PH) Form or E-recruit Internal Candidate profile generated from PRISM Portal indicating the vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the vacancy notice he/she applied for in the email Subject line. Any application without this information in the subject line will be excluded from the applications.
Kindly use your IOM email account for us to easily identify that you are internal candidate (first tier candidate) referring to this advertisement and CFA Number.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 14 Feb – 20 Feb 2021