Position Title: Consultant – Multilateral Development Banks
Duty Station: Home based
Classification: Consultant, Grade Other
Type of Appointment: Consultant, five months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 15 December 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Nature of Consultancy
Develop the elements of an institutional approach on engagement with non-UN MDBs.
Project Context and Scope
IOM has been liaising and working with a number of MDBs for many decades. This collaboration has had various forms including policy dialogue, operational engagement and joint projects and initiatives. The increasing involvement of MDBs in migration in recent times has prompted IOM to develop an overall institutional position on MDBs as innovative partners and consider the value added of a more articulated engagement.
The institutional approach assessment will address purpose, added-value, typology and expected strategic outcomes of increasing engagement with MDBs; guiding principles and criteria for successful partnerships; their evolution, development, governance, management, and external coordination; as well as defining roles and responsibilities on MBDs, internal coordination, knowledge management and communication lines. It will outline an institution-wide plan to facilitate collaborative relationships and strategic alliances with MDBs contributing to the promotion of well-managed migration policies.
The institutional approach will build on the IOM Constitution; the IOM Strategic Vision 2019-2023, the Migration Governance Framework and other relevant institutional documents and processes addressing migration governance, HDPN issues and partnerships in various contexts, including development partners. It will take into consideration the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Addis Ababa Action Agenda, the Global compact for migration, the Global compact on refugees, and other documents addressing migration and development and migration partnerships, with a focus on relevant MDB’s strategies, policy, and operational documents.
An IOM Inter-departmental review panel will oversee the development of the assessment report and its recommendations. In anticipation of the assessment, the International Partnership Division (IPD) is undertaking a survey of IOM offices’ engagement with non-UN MDBs.
The Consultancy methodology should include among other things, desktop research, interviews, analysis of relevant materials and the results of the internal survey on IOM engagement with non-UN MDBs as well as consultations with key informants and with the Inter-departmental review panel prior to the finalization of the draft institutional approach.
The consultant will be responsible for assessing IOM’s cooperation with multilateral development banks and developing modalities for effective engagement with each financial institution.
Objective of Assignment
The consultant will assess IOM’s cooperation with multilateral development banks (MDB) operating outside UN system and develop modalities for effective engagement with them.
The consultant will report to the Project Manager – Migration Policy Officer in the International Partnerships Division (IPD) in IOM Headquarters.
Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing
The International Partnerships Division (IPD) is the institutional focal point for the Organization’s relations with inter-State consultation mechanisms on migration (ISCMs), non-UN inter-governmental organizations (non-UN IGOs) including non-un MDBs, civil society, and IOM observer organizations.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1st deliverable: Analytical report and recommended elements of an IOM institutional approach on engagement with MDBs based on an assessment of MDBs and their approach to migration and IOM – expected by email by the end of 2nd month of consultancy.
2nd deliverable: First draft of the IOM institutional approach on engagement with non-UN MDBs inclusive of the above and of considerations on IOM’s engagement with multilateral development banks – expected by email by the end of the 2nd month of consultancy.
3rd deliverable: Final draft of the IOM institutional approach on engagement with non-UN MDBs based on internal comments – expected by email by the end of the 5th month of consultancy.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
• Satisfactory completion of tasks indicated on this vacancy announcement.
• Quality of the elaborated analysis.
• Adequate and prompt provision of technical inputs.
• Timely delivery of drafts and deliverables as indicated on this vacancy announcement.
• Periodic and regular updates on the progress of the Assessment provided to IOM.
• Level of adherence to the objectives.
• Compliance with the IOM Data Protection Principles; IOM Guidelines on Research ReportWriting; IOM House Style Manual; and IOM Spelling List.
• Delivery of any other tasks indicated above.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education, experience and/or skills required
• Master’s degree in Economics, Political Science, International Relations, Development, Law, Social Sciences, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in International Financial Institutions, International Partnerships, development funding, or development;
• Experience in conducting assessments of international /or regional organizations or structures;
• Experience in migration policy and migration governance;
• Proven experience in reports on external relations and partnerships as well as experience in organizational strategies.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
The consultant must adhere to the International Organization for Migration (IOM) Data Protection Principles (IN/138) and maintain confidentiality.
The consultant will be responsible to follow IOM writing guidelines and latest glossaries in all given assignments for accurate translation.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
• The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment or visa requirements and security clearances.
• Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 December 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 16.11.2021 to 15.12.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CON 2021 21 – Consultant – Multilateral Development Banks – Homebased (57269843) Released
Posting: Posting NC57269844 (57269844) Released