Content Writer Contextual Content
- United States
- Content Production
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 30+ billion digitized global historical records, 100+ million family trees, and 20+ million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
Ancestry is looking for a Content Writer who is passionate about storytelling to join our Contextual Content team. The Contextual Content team works to bring pioneering technology, historical records, and curated contextual content together to empower others in the telling of their story.
As a Content Writer you will work with the Content Editors in a collaborative process to complete writing assignments for the Contextual Content team. An important element of success for this position is ensuring that the tone and style of the final product meets Ancestry’s standards. You will also manage deadlines and help ensure that the team deliveries assignments punctually.
You will report to the Senior Program Manager of Content Strategy and will work with the Content Editors to ensure the quality of the final product. You are an effective writer and can quickly develop subject matter expertise and complete high-quality work within the required timeframes.
What You Will Do:
- You will collaborate with the Content Editors to revise and develop each writing assignment to completion.
- You will conduct in-depth historical research to support each assignment.
- You will write content for several different formats including stories that incorporate personalization from historical records.
- You will ensure each assignment follows: the style guidelines, is consistent in quality and tone, complies with department goals and values, and shows audience awareness.
- You will ensure presented facts and information are supported by research.
- You will complete all writing assignments by submission deadlines.
- You will provide status updates and reports to the Content Editors and the Program Manager.
Who You Are:
- You have a degree in History, English, American studies, Journalism, or related field or equivalent professional writing experience.
- You have experience writing about historical events.
- You have experience writing about sensitive topics
- You have a background in African American studies, Latin American studies, Native American studies, or Asian American studies.
- You have excellent writing and editing skills.
- You have experience communicating both verbally and in written format.
- You can interpret and implement company guidelines and standards.
- You can follow a style guide and tone.
- You have internet and research skills.
- You show great care for detail and accuracy.
- You are purpose-driven, and have an eagerness for achieving personal and team goals.
- You have a background in family history.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.