CodeCombat is looking for a Curriculum Developer to join our Learning Design team. If you have experience with coding, curriculum writing, education technology, and working in schools, we want to hear from you! This role will work closely with the Lead Curriculum Developer on a variety of curriculum design projects and materials, making impactful decisions and valuable contributions to the company’s product experiences.
This is a 100% remote, part-time contract role. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
What You’ll Do
- Develop and review curriculum and teaching materials to support classroom teachers
- Collaborate on curriculum design and standards alignment
- Contribute to the development of in-game experiences for students which includes working with game design, engineering, and art teams
- Independently manage small projects for the curriculum team
- Contribute to R&D for new instructional features
- Contribute to and review content for game-based learning experiences
Who You Are
- In-depth computer science knowledge (CS degree, coding bootcamp, self-taught programmer)
- Experience teaching computer science in the classroom (middle or high school preferred but not strictly required)
- Curriculum writing experience
- Experience working with Google Docs and Slides
- Strong written communication skills
Bonus Points (nice to have, but not required)
- Experience with CS educational technology in middle or high school settings
- Experience working with AP Computer Science Principles coursework and content
Who We Are
CodeCombat is building a new way for K-12 students and at-home learners to learn how to code, using real programming languages to explore adventure games. Students learn how to write functions to control their hero avatars, implement puzzle-solving strategies, and code their own games. We are committed to researching, experimenting, and iterating new ways to marry education with fun for students worldwide.
We recently released Ozaria, a Computer Science program, adventure game, and fantasy story where students master core Computer Science concepts. The unfolding narrative creates a powerful and engaging student-centered learning experience, with each student’s investment in Ozaria’s story paralleling the investment they are making in their own learning journey.
We are a small, determined, and tight-knit startup dedicated to providing an enjoyable, meaningful place to work. Team members pursue a healthy work/life balance with flexible working hours. All of our team members work remotely from all around the world, with concentrations in San Francisco and Beijing.
Our work is purposeful.
We bring our personal best every day, because our game-based learning can be life-changing for young people.
Strength comes from interdependence.
We recognize that each of us is central to the mission of CodeCombat. We know our differences create strength and resilience. We engage one another with respect for who we are, not only what we do. We create community with intention, because we need each otherand because it’s fun.
Kind, not just “nice”.
We don’t let fear of not being “nice” get in the way of the direct communication that underpins healthy relationships. We build strong connections through honest dialogue, even when the conversations are difficult.
Structure can be liberating.
Transparent processes let us focus on making the right decisionsand they create channels for diverse voices to speak. Eliminate information silos and shadow structures; create known communication channels and clear responsibilities.
We can operate at any speed.
We’re thoughtful about how fast we go. We pay attention when the lights change. Sometimes we walk.
Learning and growth go hand-in-hand.
Every experience is an opportunity to learn, and our team is growing every day. When we think we know it all, it means we have more to learn.
CodeCombat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Compensation: $31/hr – $51/hr