DATA SCIENTIST – US REMOTE ELIGIBLE
- Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Digital & Technology
Do you see patterns or opportunities that others don’t see? Do you enjoying asking questions and analyzing data to deepen your knowledge? Do you like to challenge historical assumptions and recommend new ways to drive action based on data driven insights? Do you like to find the best way to tackle a problem and share the approach with others? General Mills is seeking a Data Scientist to join our Data Science, Digital and Technology team that is tasked with collaborating with and enabling existing functional data science and analytics teams. This team also provides data science expertise and services to advance initiatives around demand forecasting, text classification, operational analytics, and machine learning to name just a few. It is also responsible for curating a community of practice to determine the best standards and practices around data science at General Mills.
- Develop novel ways to help business partners achieve objectives through analysis and modelling
- Think outside the box to identify and test new sources of information that unlock new business value
- Curate and connect external data sets for broad enterprise-wide analytic usage
- Be a storyteller to explain the ‘why and how’ of your data driven recommendations to cross-functional teams
- Engineer features by using your business acumen to bin, aggregate, pivot or encode data for optimal results
- Utilize machine learning to create repeatable, dynamic, and scalable models
- Have passion to advocate and educate on the value and importance of data driven decision making and analytical methods
- Identify and develop long-term data science processes, frameworks, tools, and standards
- Be a part of the team, collaborate, ask questions, engage, and solicit feedback from other Data Scientists
- Bachelor’s Degree required; 3+ years of relevant experience
- Comfortable in basic statistical analysis, modeling, clustering, and data mining techniques to identify trends and insights
- Experience with Python and R, comfortable working with DataFrames
- Ability to incorporate a variety of data sources in an analysis (HDFS, file, database, JSON, HTML, etc)
- Experience writing complex SQL queries
- Understanding of data warehousing and databases is critical
- Experience with data visualization tools
- Number sense, ability to identify questionable data, dig in and address it
- Exemplary organizational skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Bias for action with ability to deliver outstanding results through task prioritization and time management
- Strong communication and collaboration skills to understand customer needs and deliver solutions in alignment with business needs
- Degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or Statistics preferred
- 6+ years’ experience with at least 2 years of relevant experience in Data Science
- Experience with machine learning
- Mathematical and statistical background
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or other cloud platforms
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, and/or Spark
- The preferred location for this role is Minneapolis, MN however remote work-at-home applications within the United States will be considered.
- Relocation or international remote working arrangements (outside of the US) will not be considered.
We exist to make food the world loves. But we do more than that. Our company is a place that prioritizes being a force for good, a place to expand learning, explore new perspectives and reimagine new possibilities, every day. We look for people who want to bring their best — bold thinkers with big hearts who challenge one other and grow together. Because becoming the undisputed leader in food means surrounding ourselves with people who are hungry for what’s next.