Upside is a retail technology company that uses personalized cashback promotions to bring shoppers more value and proven profit to brick and mortar businesses. As millions of shoppers earn 2 to 3 times more cashback with Upside than any other product, businesses nationwide earn more profit without changing their business models. Many other brands use the Upside Partner Platform to power their own app experiences, leaning on Upside’s proven methodology to help shoppers and businesses do better. Upside is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and has driven hundreds of millions of dollars back into our local communities nationwide.
Meet Upside Engineering
The Engineering team at Upside is a close-knit group of hardworking, fast-learning individuals that believes in our mission to help communities thrive. We believe in a data-driven approach to decision-making and an encouraging culture that emphasizes learning from our mistakes. We debate and deliberate on the best ideas to improve our tech stack, and strive for an inclusive atmosphere that champions the psychological wellness of all of our teammates.
Our Technology Stack:
- Kubernetes clusters in AWS EKS
- Java Dropwizard microservices using 12-factor principles
- Jenkins CI/CD pipeline
- Python 3 / AWS Lambdas deployed with Serverless
- AWS Services managed through Terraform (RDS (MySQL), DynamoDB, S3, Athena, SNS, SQS, IAM, VPCs, Elasticache)
What you’ll do:
- Improve developer velocity by optimizing CI/CD workflows, standardizing development patterns for services and lambdas, and implementing self-service tools for infrastructure requests.
- Identify and improve scale bottlenecks in our message-oriented architecture using best-practice patterns.
- Improve overall system resilience. For example, you might add caching, database clustering, or service discovery solutions where appropriate.
- Improve application and network security with industry best practices (e.g. using secrets management tools, locking down AWS VPCs/Subnets/Security Groups).
What you need:
- Strong analytical, organizational, and prioritization skills.
- Software development experience in our tech stack.
- Familiarity with performance monitoring in a distributed architecture with tools such as those provided by DataDog or NewRelic.
- An understanding of continuous integration and deployment standards and implementation.
- An understanding of application security and compliance best practices.
- The ability to demonstrate that you can bring code from whiteboard scribbles to running in production.
- A passion for working in a dynamic and growing startup environment with a tight-knit, encouraging engineering team that strives to make work interesting, challenging and fun.
- A constant desire for learning and self-improvement.
The fine print:
- Notice to recruiters and placement agencies: This is an in-house search. Please do not submit resumes to any person or email address at Upside. Upside is not liable for, and will not pay, placement fees for candidates submitted by any party or agency other than its approved recruitment partners.
At Upside, we believe that diversity drives innovation. Our differences are what makes us stronger. Were passionate about building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here, come join us!