UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is recruiting a Digital Strategy and Planning Officer (External Engagement) within the Digital Service in the Division of External Relations.
UNHCR is a global organisation dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Digital Strategy and Planning Officer (External Engagement)
Duty Station: London, UK
Duration: as soon as possible to 31/12/2022
Contract Type: UNOPS International – Specialist, Level IICA-2 (or equivalent Local Specialist Level LICA-10)
Closing date: 25 February 2022
The contractor will operate within the Digital Service, in the Division of External Relations (DER).
The Digital Service team advises on, creates and delivers digital solutions and strategies for engaging with UNHCR’s primary audiences, including the public, partners, governments, refugees and staff. As part of its responsibilities, the Digital Service oversees the digital strategy of global public engagement campaigns, partnering with campaign owners to ensure that the strategy delivers effectively on the relevant communications, advocacy and fundraising goals.
The Digital Strategy and Planning Officer (External Engagement) will report to the Senior Digital Strategy and Planning Officer, providing support on the delivery of global digital engagement initiatives. The role will also provide digital support to offices around the world as they implement such initiatives, including global campaigns, in their countries, and coordinate with a range of experts within the Digital Service to ensure design, development, marketing and reporting requirements and standards are met. In order to carry out these activities, the role will operate in close coordination with the DER teams including the Global Communication Service, the DER Campaigns Hub, Private Sector Partnerships, and others.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Senior Digital Strategy and Planning Officer, the individual contractor will develop and coordinate the delivery of the digital strategy of selected global external engagement initiatives.
The specific responsibilities of this role will include:
Digital Engagement Strategy
· Develop and advise on the digital strategy and implementation of selected global external engagement initiatives, including communications moments, events and campaigns.
· Create user journeys for digital audiences and develop implementation plans
· Work cross-functionally with DER teams to establish core set of KPIs and success metrics for global initiatives
· Contribute to the success of the advocacy, communications and financial goals of global campaigns
· Provide occasional training of non-digital colleagues on the role of digital communications and marketing in external engagement.
Coordination of Delivery
· Coordinate as needed with a range of design, development, content and marketing experts within the Digital Engagement team to ensure the digital components of external engagement initiatives follow digital best practice including but not limited to:
o Web page templates, forms
o Website content
o Tracking and analytics (set up and reporting)
o Income dashboard
o Email / marketing automation set up
o SEO optimisation
o Search and display ads
· Provide guidance, training and support to country offices and HQ divisions as they implement digital engagement initiatives
· Other activities as required to ensure the smooth digital delivery of external engagement activity.
· Contribute to innovation and testing new digital engagement formats and modalities
· Some occasional travel may be required of this role.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications or other related field.
b. Work Experience
Minimum of six years (or five years with a master degree) of experience in communications, marketing and/or fundraising roles, with at least four of those specifically in digital marketing.
Experience is specifically sought in the following areas:
· Managing digital communications and/or marketing programmes and campaigns, preferably in the area of advocacy or fundraising
· Using analytics data to optimize digital communications and marketing activity
· Managing relationships with digital agencies, in particular for the production of websites and digital creative
· Working with multidisciplinary teams to jointly deliver high quality digital products
· Publishing content using digital tools, including content management systems and email broadcast software.
· Planning and preparing content for digital channels, including websites, social media and email.
· Managing other digital communications and marketing channels, such as social media, search and display
· Using Google Analytics or other digital analytics tools to generate reports on site and campaign performance
· Testing websites and other digital assets
· Experience building automated email journeys
c. Key Competencies
· Solid knowledge of digital marketing best practice
· Strong organizational skills
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Fluency in English
· Previous experience within UNHCR in a communications or fundraising role
· Knowledge of HTML
· Basic knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
· Working knowledge of French, Spanish or Arabic
The role will be based in London, UK.
This position is initially up to the end of the year with possibility of extension. It is a full-time role starting from 8.30am to 5pm Monday to Friday (40 hours per week).
This vacancy is open both for applicants residing in the United Kingdom and for those residents of other countries. The remuneration level and the applicable entitlements and benefits may be different based on the residence of the most suitable selected candidate.
How to apply
To learn more and apply, please visit https://bit.ly/3gz3DL9
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).