Title: Front Page Editor, HuffPost
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.
HuffPost is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, Inc.
As part of our esteemed news organization, HuffPost is a leading source of award-winning news and commentary for the most diverse and connected generation ever with reporting spanning across politics, lifestyle, entertainment and more. HuffPost believes in putting people before power and telling the stories that too often go unheard, from the voices that matter.
HuffPost is looking for an ambitious editor to publish stories, follow news, and write headlines on our widely read mobile app and front page. HuffPost’s front page updates constantly and features a diverse range of stories from across the publication. This is not a typical front-page editing job: HuffPost front page editors are expected to set the news agenda, become involved in story assignment, send alerts and post on social media.
This position’s typical schedule will be Tuesday-Saturday, can be performed remotely and covers ET daytime hours.
- Find stories that should lead the site, and contribute ideas for how to present them
- Determine what’s most interesting and important about a story and use strong writing skills to capture the story’s essence in a headline and push notification
- Conceive and select the most compelling images to accompany stories on the front page
- Identify stories that need to be on the front page and coordinate with reporters and assignment editors
- Write or edit quick, clean first versions of breaking news stories
Part of what makes BuzzFeed a pioneer in digital media is our commitment to exploring new ventures that lead to spreading truth and joy. As such, you may be asked to share your knowledge with your colleagues through presentations or trainings, to screen and interview job candidates, or to take part in recruitment or networking events on behalf of the company and be part of a union.
- Have rock-solid news judgment; know when a story matters, when it doesn’t and why
- Be passionate news junkies, and obsessively follow the news
- Know how to write a headline that will get people talking
- Be comfortable in a fast-paced, creatively demanding work environment that requires meticulous attention to detail
- Be a terrific communicator, able to collaborate with a range of teams across the country and around the world
- Have a keen sense for how to make news compelling using images, headlines, and other publishing elements
- Be knowledgeable about the content and headlines typically featured on HuffPost’s front page
- Have 4+ years experience in online journalism, strong writing skills, eagerness to learn and take risks
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.