Head of Events, Internal
at Automattic Careers
Would you like to influence the distributed work experience for thousands of people around the globe? Automattic is a place like no other: our fast-growing team of 2,000+ works from home (or any other location they choose), in one of 90+ countries, to democratize publishing and make the web a better place. Check out our Work With Us page for more info on how we work, our development process, and benefits.
The Human League (our HR group) has the goal of ensuring our company is the best place Automatticians have ever worked, making each person feel welcomed, included, valued, and respected. Our mission is to be thought leaders by building and supporting a globally distributed, diverse, authentic, and inclusive workforce, where Automatticians can thrive.
The newest team under the Human League’s umbrella, Meet, was formed to create memorable and meaningful experiences for Automatticians, by focusing on internal events, our physical spaces, and Automattic merchandise. Automattic internal events (meetups) where Automatticians spend time working together and building relationships are a critical element to making our distributed model work and fostering engagement. We are looking for a Head of Internal Events to lead our internal event strategy and operations.
The Head of Internal Events will oversee Automattic’s internal event strategy and operations, physical spaces, and Automattic merchandise. This role will guide a team to bring the culture of Automattic to real-life and online experiences events are a key part of our strategy to increase Automattician engagement and build company culture. This role requires relationship expertise, people management, and the operational excellence to oversee multiple, concurrent events and initiatives while moving at a fast pace. While you will be leading a small team, this is also an individual contributor role and you will be directly responsible for several events at any given time.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing Automattic’s internal events program and strategy, including: the Grand Meetup, Division Meetups, Team Meetups, board meetings, and State of the Word.
- Event production for the Grand Meetup and Division Meetups including, but not limited to: project management, location research, accommodation/venue support (research, RFPs, contract negotiations and compliance coordination, payment arrangement, rooming list management), transportation coordination (visa support, transfers, etc.), F&B (recommendations, menu planning, dietary/cultural consultation, contracting), agenda creation, program development, and activity planning.
- Event production for Automattic sponsored, external events.
- Providing support and acting as a resource for Automattic Team Meetup planning and production.
- Analyzing event data and outcomes to gauge the success and future investment for each event.
- Overseeing all aspects of facilities operations at our office spaces (Noho and SF Mission) with the goal to optimize the space to foster relationships with Automatticians, clients, investors, and friends of Automattic, and maximizing the opportunity for the space as an event venue.
- Promoting the Automattic brand by overseeing the internal and external swag stores including inventory, technology, reporting, and vendor relationships.
- Experimenting with ideas to create cost efficiencies and streamline event operations while maintaining a high-quality experience. Documenting these successful practices into playbooks to save money and time for future event productions.
- Supporting your team with their individual responsibilities and by removing obstacles that slow down or distract the team from delivering on its goals.
- Maintaining continuous communication, and being a partner, across the company.
- Lots of patience, highly effective communication skills, and the ability to represent Automattic with professionalism, integrity, and a strong customer service focus.
- Leadership talent the ability to mentor the team for continued professional development; clearly communicate vision, strategy, and expectations; and help team members identify and be successful in their most impactful work.
- Strong project management skills and experience successfully managing large budgets.
- International event production experience (8-10 years) production of events (ranging in size from 200-2,000+ attendees) from start to finish, including: project management, budget development, vendor research, accommodation/venue coordination and booking, negotiation of packages, contract review and negotiation, rooming list management, transportation organization, inclusive F&B planning, inclusive activity programming.
- Experience planning inclusive events (in-person, remote, and hybrid) for a global audience.
- Resilience, and the ability to be comfortable in an ambiguous environment and handle challenging situations.
- Knowledge of the travel and hospitality industry with existing industry connections and relationships.
- The ability to travel both domestically and internationally, with a travel commitment of approximately 20% (8-10 weeks per year), and a schedule that allows for weekend work as needed.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Experience using WordPress.com.
We are looking to build our newest team and aim to reflect the diversity of Automatticians currently working with us. At Automattic, we value diversity and know that different perspectives will ensure our team is innovative and creative thinking.
HOW TO APPLY
Does this sound interesting? If yes, click the Apply button below and fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. You will need to attach a cover letter and rsum. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so make your application stand out and be sure to answer the application questions (applications without this information will not be reviewed).
We look forward to hearing from you!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, WooCommerce, Tumblr, Simplenote, Jetpack, Longreads, Day One, PocketCasts, and more. We believe in making the web a better place.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1900 Automatticians in 96 countries speaking 120+ different languages. We democratize publishing and commerce so anyone with a story can tell it, and anyone with a product can sell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or country.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at Automattic
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Learn more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.