Head of Finance
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a particular time-zone preference for this role.
Why this job is exciting
As our Head of Finance, you will be a member of our Executive Team, leading our high agency, all-remote finance & operations teams to achieve ambitious objectives by shaping our business and financial strategy throughout this period of rapid growth & beyond. Reporting directly to our CEO, Quinn Slack, you will work closely with the executive team and our board of directors to ensure our resources are allocated efficiently in pursuit of our purpose of making it so everyone can code. You will be responsible for implementing financial management processes, managing the finance & accounting teams, treasury function and working closely with department leaders to budget, forecast, and drive quick, informed decision making across the company.
What you’ll be responsible for:
- Understand the what, why, and how of the projects that your teams are working on, how those projects contribute to our company goals, as well as current status, risks, and mitigations.
- Prepare Board materials that accurately present the company’s financial position and highlight the key drivers of the business for strategic decision making.
- Build out key processes that scale the company efficiently, including internal and external reporting, budgeting and forecasting, procurement, payroll, accounting, and more.
- Serve as advisor and strategic business partner to the CEO, leadership team, and the board of directors on a wide range of financial matters.
- Build our planning strategy and run a company-wide planning and budgeting process for calendar year 2023 in partnership with your peers.
- Acting as a financial advisor to CEO, responsible for bringing a financial lens to every major strategic decision and assisting peers in making good business decisions that are also financially sound.
- Own sales and commercial finance (pipeline analytics, ARR and revenue forecasting, sales efficiency metrics, quota and capacity analytics, etc.) in partnership with the heads of Sales, Marketing, and Customer Engineering.
- Manage and report on our cash reserves and burn, and own the long-term financial and financing model for the business.
- Work closely with the Board and executive team to position Sourcegraph for an IPO in the next 2-3 years.
- Develop viewpoints on long-term strategic matters such as financing/fundraising, partnerships, M&A, entity formation and structuring, tax, and more.
- Lead and continually improving the accuracy and impact of the annual planning process.
You are an experienced and visionary people-driven Finance leader who has the skills to effectively drive progress. To succeed, you need to have a proven track record of owning financial and operational decisions in high-growth tech startups at the director or above level. You are able to execute on today’s challenges while maintaining a forward-thinking mindset around where we’ll be six months, a year, and several years from now Lastly, you are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
- Extensive experience leading and building finance and accounting functions and departments at both public and high-growth private SaaS companies.
- Ability to operate at a strategic level as well as roll-up sleeves with the business and drive tactical execution of large projects.
- Deep understanding of financial modeling and key metrics used in B2B SaaS; strong solid understanding of GAAP
- Experience making decisions around marketing spend, pricing, sales comp plans, budget scenarios, and burn allocations.
- Experience presenting to the Board of Directors and presenting compelling arguments at the executive level.
- Understanding of modern Revenue Operations in B2B SaaS.
- Experience owning accounting operations (payroll, AP, AR, deal desk, and tax).
- Ability to work in an async & remote environment.
Nice to haves:
- Experience taking a company through an IPO or preparing for an IPO
- Prior experience in corporate strategy.
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.