In 2019, the Mediation Support Unit (MSU), based in the Policy and Mediation Division of the United Nations (UN) Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA), developed and launched the Toolkit on Digital Technologies and Mediation (https://peacemaker.un.org/digitaltoolkit) and held a number of follow-on activities. In parallel, MSU, together with DPPA Policy Planning Unit (PPU), initiated a project to enhance the Department’s understanding of cyber operations and other malicious uses of ICT in order to inform the UN’s conflict prevention work.
Over the last two years, marked by the Covid-19 pandemic, the Mediation Support Unit’s work on digital technologies and mediation has further intensified and now requires more structured support through the recruitment of a Senior Digital Technologies Advisor as part of the Standby Team of Senior Mediation Advisers (SBT) mechanism. This expert will be deployed to deepen DPPA’s understanding of digital technologies as they relate to the mediation and conflict prevention work, develop new partnerships, and support mediators in the field to leverage technologies in their work and as necessary help integrate issues related to these technologies into UN good offices, prevention and mediation efforts.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the supervision of the Head of Cluster Manager, SDC, in coordination with the Standby Team Mechanism, the Individual Contractor will serve as an ICT Advisor on digital technologies and conflict prevention and resolution. Under the guidance of MSU focal points, the Individual Contractor will assume a range of duties to support the development of knowledge in this area and provide operational assistance, as required.
In particular, the Individual Contractor may be asked to perform specific duties such as:
- Conduct and manage monitoring and analysis of international incidents, trends and UN processes relevant to digital technologies in conflict contexts, including hate speech and normative and policy developments, and oversee related briefing materials;
- Lead in providing technical expertise, advice and support in the area of digital technologies and/or cybersecurity to UN envoys, senior officials and UN representatives leading mediation, facilitation and dialogue processes;
- As requested, take lead in producing periodic reports and relevant thematic briefings on digital technologies and/or cyber security for MSU, PPU for mediation teams;
- Coordinate and manage lessons learned reviews of best practices on digital technologies and cybersecurity;
- As necessary, manage and oversee the work of thematic experts and partners;
- As requested, conceive, plan and manage capacity-building seminars, trainings, and conflict analysis frameworks on digital technologies and/or cybersecurity for MSU and PPU, senior UN officials and envoys, mediation teams, parties or other key stakeholders;
- As requested, take lead in producing operational guidance notes and related training materials in the area of expertise on digital technologies and/or cybersecurity;
- Guide MSU’s network of experts on issues related to digital technologies and/or cyber security;
- Ensure that all activities and written products are gender mainstreamed;
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Monitoring and Progress Controls**
Specific deliverables and reporting requirements will be mutually discussed and agreed upon at the start of each assignment.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY* **CANDIDATES WITH NO UN OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY****
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) is required.
- A Bachelor’s degree or first level degree with two (2) additional years of experience is accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A technical degree or military degree with four (4) additional years of experience is accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in the field related to cybersecurity and/or international security policy is required.
- Experience in the field of mediation and/or conflict prevention is required.
Desirable (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
- Experience in web-application development is desirable.
- Experience in international environments related to political, humanitarian or development work is desirable.
- Experience in delivering mediation capacity-building courses and workshops is desirable.
- Experience in conceptualizing data needs for complex storytelling is desirable.
- Fluency in English (write, read, talk) is required.
- Working knowledge of at least one other official UN language is desirable.
How to apply
To apply please follow this link: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=22786#1