Junior Graphic Designer
Job Requisition Id: 2022-410
The Membership Marketing & Content Strategy’s (MMCS) content team is responsible for strategizing, producing and updating content for the ASPCA’s public-facing channels, including but not limited to aspca.org, social media, email, direct mail, digital advertising, offline fundraising, and our member magazine. The team collaborates closely with others in Development (print and digital designers, corporate partners, data etc.), as well as with other departments throughout the ASPCA to effectively achieve the organization’s messaging, campaign and fundraising goals.
The Junior Graphic Designer is responsible for producing print and digital marketing materials, under the guidance and direction of their manager, with a focus on direct mail, digital and social media creative. The Junior Graphic Designer works closely with the content team and Senior Graphic Designer to produce high-quality designs consistent with the ASPCA’s brand and style guide.
This remote-based position (which requires some travel, as outlined below) is open to all candidates based within the United States.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Under guidance and direction of the Senior Graphic Designer, conceptualize and design print and digital materials, including fundraising, cultivation, engagement and educational resources.
- Adhere to existing brand style guidelines within creative to ensure brand consistency.
- Update copy and swap images as needed for direct mail projects.
- Select and resize images for blog posts and web pages across aspca.org.
- Create engaging social media graphics as needed, to align with campaigns and cross-channel messaging.
- Keep record of and analyze past creative tactics and tests, and make recommendations for future testing in line with project goals and budget.
- Work collaboratively with content team to design mail pieces, including participating in brainstorms and debriefs.
- Stay up to date with design trends, technology, new software knowledge, and proper prepress and digital file preparation.
- Proof-read, edit and at times rework submitted content, adhering to existing brand style guidelines and creating a tone suitable for the targeted audience.
Project Management (30%)
- Supply deliverables by uploading final art files to FTPs.
- Search asset database for image selections and isolate images as needed, for both task-assignments and also to build a collection for future use.
- Maintain organized project and image files within Box.
- Work closely with manager to coordinate tasks, set priorities, and respond to Basecamp assignments in a timely manner.
- Adhere to project timelines and cross-team collaboration, allowing time for multiple rounds of reviews.
- Take initiative and prioritize tasks; have excellent time management, anticipating needs and problem-solving skills.
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
- Candidates will be required to submit a high-quality, professional project work portfolio with application submission.
- Able to photoshop photo composites and alter photos to represent ASPCA best practices
- Comfortable occasionally working with graphic and sensitive material
- Excellent knowledge of print best practices and how design files will translate to printed pieces
- Experience developing and maintaining consistency of brand identity across various channels
- Must be detail-oriented with strong communication and organizational skills
- Proficient in Adobe CC, specifically Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- Skilled multi-tasker, able to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines
Some travel may be required (up to 5%) to attend department meetings and professional development opportunities.
- English (Required)
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelors, High School Diploma (Required)
- 2+ years of digital and print graphic design experience preferably in an office or professional environment., 2+ years of experience in managing and trafficking projects from concept to production, 2+ years of experience maintaining, prepping and packaging print-ready files, Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant experience required, Demonstrated graphic design experience via a high-quality, professional project work portfolio., Experience with photo journalism or crafting a story that motivates an audience to take action through visual support (will be asked to provide samples of past work)
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA’s standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA’s People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
ASPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
The ASPCA was founded in 1866 on the belief that animals are entitled to kind and respectful treatment by humans and must be protected under the law. As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation with more than two million supporters nationwide, the ASPCA is committed to preventing cruelty to dogs, cats, equines, and farm animals throughout the United States.
The ASPCA is headquartered in New York City, where we maintain a full-service animal hospital, spay/neuter clinic, mobile spay/neuter and primary pet care clinics, a rehabilitation center for canine victims of cruelty, kitten nursery, adoption center, and two community veterinary centers.
The ASPCA also operates programs and services that extend nationwide. We assist animals in need through on-the-ground disaster and cruelty interventions, behavioral rehabilitation, animal placement, legal and legislative advocacy, and the advancement of the sheltering and veterinary community through research, training, and resources.
At the ASPCA, we are committed to fostering a collaborative and compassionate culture and we welcome all voices to contribute to our lifesaving mission. Our staff represent a vast array of backgrounds and diversity dimensions, bringing with them valuable experiences and perspectives. They join the ASPCA to learn, grow, and continually do their best work on behalf of animals. We are inspired by our staff, partners, and the communities we support across the country who work to improve animal lives. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion at the ASPCA because it elevates our organizational culture, aligns with our Core Values, and enables us to move further and faster toward the ASPCA’s vision that all animals live good lives; valued by society, protected by its laws, and free from cruelty, pain and suffering.