Position Title: Laboratory Technician
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Manila)
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G-4
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 23 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the general supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer and the direct supervision of the Laboratory Supervisor, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical support to enable the timely and highly consistent delivery of laboratory services to Migration Health clinicians in Manila.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Strict adherence to fraud prevention measures in all aspects of work performed for visa applicants.
- Strict adherence to biosafety measures during specimen collection, laboratory procedures, disposing of, storing, and shipping of specimens.
- Collect adequate specimens for required examinations.
- Observe standard operating procedures adopted in the laboratory for all examinations and procedures.
- Ensure and maintain high quality of performed laboratory tests.
- Maintain laboratory database and logbooks neat and proper.
- Assist/maintain laboratory records in the computer.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of laboratory reports and examinations in a timely manner.
- Assist in the preparation and submission of stock orders in time, keeping stock records and monitoring consumption.
- Assist in managing specimens and laboratory materials shipment.
- Facilitate the internal Quality Assurance System in the laboratory.
- Assist in the preparation and updating of standard operating procedures.
- Participate in training/refresher trainings.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Medical Technology or Medical Laboratory Technician or a related field from an accredited academic institution, with two years relevant professional experience in tuberculosis testing; or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in TB culture and DST and Serological testing using e411 will be favorably considered.
- Valid laboratory technician license in the Philippines.
- Ability to work independently and analytically under time constraints.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of a second official UN language is desirable.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1*
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite work. The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (4 pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 23 November 2021. Position title and VN Number (VN 033 2021 – Laboratory Technician) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.