Listings Writer – 100% Remote
Are you passionate about classic and specialist cars? Do you have good historical and technical knowledge that allows you to write authoritatively?
We’re looking for someone with a deep understanding of classic and specialist vehicles and who is able to learn about unfamiliar topics quickly and communicate them in a friendly and informed way.
You’ll be confident enough to self-organise and to work strongly from your own initiative. You will be happy to speak to people from all corners of the classic and specialist car world, from the home-based enthusiast to a specialist dealer with stock valued at millions. And on that note, you will be as engaged and as invested in writing about a Montego as you would be a Merak.
You will be a skilled writer with a portfolio of published work to back this up. You can demonstrate how you’ve turned basic facts and figures into an engaging, well-written copy that answers all the readers’ questions.
Above all, however, you’ll be someone looking to join a great team of enthusiasts who are shaking up the classic and specialist car market. Car & Classic is a household name now, and we want people to come on this exciting journey with us.
About the role
We’re looking for full-time writers to write auction listings for our rapidly growing marketplace. These writers will be responsible for translating a basic set of information about cars, vans, bikes, trucks and anything else on two or four wheels into engaging, informative and concise listings.
The Technical Writer will have the ability to turn basic information into a captivating listing and tell the story of a car in a way that makes it irresistible to bidders.
You’ll need good organisational skills and the ability to identify gaps in copy and then interview owners directly to create the fullest description possible. You’ll also need to fact-check and ensure everything is accurate ahead of publication.
About us www.carandclassic.com
Car & Classic is one of the largest automotive marketplaces in the world. We’re lucky to have thousands of user generated listings submitted monthly with content gems from James Bond’s Aston DB5 to Elvis Presley’s Cadillac. The site is old, launched in 2005 but under new, VC-backed ownership since 2018 and on an exciting triple-digit growth journey to bring classic vehicle transactions online.
Our culture is incredibly important to us. We’re lucky enough to have built the team from scratch with a focus on enjoying the day-to-day, diversity, inclusion and high performance. Despite being an entirely distributed business we build strong connections as colleagues and have created a fun and high performing culture.
Whilst the team is only 120 people now we expect to double over the next 12-months. We’re looking for a Listings Writer that has good, relevant experience and wants to make their mark in a rapid growth business where they can make a real difference, whilst enjoying the environment and culture.
Finally you don’t have to love cars to work here (and lots of our team don’t) but for those who do this is an incredible opportunity to combine your passion and professional lives we look forward to hearing from you.
Role and responsibilities
- Writing listings from questionnaire responses submitted by the vehicle owners
- Following up these questionnaires by interviewing customers over the phone
- Coordinating with our consignor and customer support team to understand vehicle context
- Fact-checking claims made about the vehicle and ensuring accuracy of information
- Ability to write consistently to a word limit within tone of voice and style guidelines
- Uploading work to our bespoke CMS
- Updating in-house systems
What do you get (remuneration & benefits)?
- Competitive base salary (disclosed at first stage screening)
- Stock options
- All the equipment you need to get the job done
- Flexible working – work where and when you want in order to get the job done
- Access to free counselling, therapy and mental health support via Spill
- Professional development allowance
- Company paid team retreats
- Income Protection
- Life Cover
- Smart Health
- Generous parental leave
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays) & any period of closure over Christmas also paid
- Ability to make your mark on a fast-growing start-up
The skills, attributes, and experience you must have:
- Deep understanding of classic & specialist vehicles
- Demonstrable skill in automotive writing
- Experience working remotely with little or no supervision
- The ability to distil complex topics and scattered information into clear, easy to understand copy
- An eye for detail
- Strong customer service ethos
- Confidence in speaking with a wide variety of customers
- Demonstrable experience of working to strict deadlines
Skills, attributes, and experience it would be nice for you to have:
- An understanding of vehicle sales and the marketplace in general
- An understanding of online marketing and conversion rates
- Use of tools such as Google Analytics, Hotjar or similar to measure success
- A second language is a plus
Our application process
We want to make sure we hire the best available talent! We had a fantastic 2021 with all of our hires hitting the ground running. We are excited to do the same in 2022.
Every role is crucial to us at this stage of our growth. We are improving and evolving our recruitment and application process on a monthly basis. We are trying to remove any bias from our recruitment process, this is an ongoing issue in the recruitment function for companies of all sizes.
To help achieve this we have refined our application form that you will find when you click ‘Apply for this job’. The answers to the questions are the difference between your application being progressed or not so please do give them your time and effort when answering. The first thing our Talent Partner will review is these questions (we may not even need to review your CV depending on your answers).
Good luck with your application and thank you in advance for your interest in joining us at Car & Classic.
Car & Classic Limited is an equal opportunity employer
Equality, diversity and inclusion are integral parts of our culture. We recognise and celebrate the value and impact diversity brings to our company and are committed to ensuring this is a consistent focus, for which we hold ourselves responsible. We are committed to treating all applicants fairly and equally and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this role.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran/military status, and disability, or another legally protected status.
If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.