Position Title: Mobile Clinic Nurse (24 Vacancies)
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Surigao City)
Classification: General Service Staff, UG-4**
Type of Appointment: Special short-term Ungraded, three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date: 25 February 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the National Health Officer (Team Leader), and the direct supervision of the National Health Officer, the successful canidate will be responsible for the implementation of IOM’s Emergency Relief Programme in the assigned health station, which includes activities related to the prevention, treatment/care and support of communicable diseases, injuries, and other diseases.
The overall objective of the project is to assist typhoon affected communities, to reduce their health vulnerabilities, in particular with communicable diseases and to reduce avoidable mortality and morbidity of typhoon victims especially the medical needs of women, children, the older persons and other vulnerable persons.
The incumbent’s role encompasses a range of responsibilities including: assisting to medical doctors in patient treatment and managing clinic, medical supplies and all other clinic activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Management of patients in the clinic**
- Comprehensive history taking and accurate vital signs.
- Accurate and thorough Bio-data collection.
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment process; and,
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and testing.
- Dispense the drugs and medical materials according to the doctor’s prescription.
- Administer medications and carry out treatment to the patients according to the doctor’s prescription and order.
- Assist the medical doctor in referring patients with moderate to severe medical conditions to appropriate health facilities.
Managing the clinic medical supplies
- Prepare the drugs and medical equipment for clinic use.
- Check the drug and medical supplies stock balance.
- List the drugs and medical materials items to be replenished and will make the necessary request, approved by the clinic physician.
Managing the prevention activities
- Conduct health education activities regarding awareness emphasizing on Covid 19, other communicable diseases such as diarrhoea diseases, DHF, TB, HIV, reproductive health, and other infectious diseases where possible. as well as personal hygiene, environmental sanitation, water sanitation.
- Ensure the implementation and compliance of Infection, prevention, and control (IPC) measures at all areas and during activities.
Data collection and reporting
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health assessment, intervention, and/or testing.
- Collect the daily drug consumption, fill in the IOM daily drug consumption sheet and report to the supervisor on weekly basis for monitoring purpose.
Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Nursing from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of professional/clinical work experience.
- Valid license to practice within country is mandatory.
- Two-year experience of clinical/direct patient experience.
- Two-year experience in health-related projects for international organizations or government and institutions focusing on community health is favourable.
- Capacity to work independently, efficiently with flexibility.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including ability to speak in public, good writing, communication, and negotiation skills.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Conversant in any local language is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy announcement is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 25 February 2022. Position title and CFA Number (CFA 2022 001 – Mobile Clinic Nurse) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.