Position Title: National Health Officer (12 Vacancies)
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Surigao City)
Classification: National Officer Staff, Ungraded (NO-A Equivalent)**
Type of Appointment: Special short-term Ungraded, three months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 25 February 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, and direct supervision by the over-all Health Coordinator, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of IOM’s Health Response Program in the station where s/he is assigned, which includes activities related to the Health which further includes prevention, treatment/care and support of communicable diseases, injuries and other diseases as well Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPSS).
The overall objective of this project is to assist typhoon affected communities to reduce their health vulnerabilities, in particular with communicable diseases and to reduce avoidable mortality and morbidity of typhoon victims especially the medical needs of women, children, the older persons and other vulnerable persons. The health activities will be carried through deployment of mobile health clinics to identified areas.**
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Managing, supervising, and coordinating the mobile clinic team
- Preparing the weekly schedule of activities in the clinic in coordination with the over-all Health Coordinator;
- Supervising the nurse during his/her activities on all health-related activities.
- Ensuring that the clinic team is functioning well, reporting to over-all health coordinator in case of problems and suggesting solutions.
- Liaising with/informing village authorities, arranging information dissemination to the community, etc.
Management of patients in the clinic
- Consultation and treatment of patients according to the WHO/DOH treatment guidelines, possibly onsite screening tests (eg- Covid 19 Rapid Antigen test, Dengue Rapid test).
- Triage of patients.
- Initial management of patients with moderate to severe medical conditions and referring them to appropriate care centres.
Managing the medical items and supplies donated through IOM
- He/ She will be responsible for requesting the essential medicines and supplies needed for replenishment in the clinic, he/she will supervise/monitor the preparation of the drugs and medical materials, check the stock balance and replenish daily with the assistance of clinic nurse.
- Oversees checking of the expiration dates of the drugs and medical materials of stocks and inform to IOM Field Nurse Coordinator before expired dates.
Managing the prevention activities
- Ensure implementation and compliance of Infection, Prevention and Control measures (IPC) for Covid 19, and other communicable diseases, in all undertakings and activities.
- Conduct health teachings and related activities for prevention of common communicable and non-communicable diseases, additional emphasis on Covid 19 prevention and compliance to protocols/detection/referrals and ensure that standard universal precautions are followed and maintained.
- Supervise (and conduct) MHPSS/ PFA activities.
Data collection, monitoring and evaluation of activities and reporting
- Collecting the clinical data and analysing it in the collaboration with the medical team and the health authorities in the area.
- Collect statistical information and share with the assigned supervisor, as per pre-set and agreed upon format
- Identifying any emergence of epidemic and or pandemic outbreaks and inform and local health authorities.
- Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Medicine from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of professional/clinical work experience.
- Minimum of two (2) years, post-graduation, (post internship in countries with mandatory internship programs) continuous clinical experience, preferably in a multidisciplinary hospital setting. The last clinical posting should be within the last three years; and,
- Valid license to practice within country is mandatory.
- Strong management skills are necessary, demonstrated by at least one year work experience managing health related projects for international organizations or government and institutions focusing on community health.
- Experience of treating patients in remote/hard to reach areas at least one year.
- Experience of managing and developing a team and ability to lead, motivated and develop others.
- Effectively applies knowledge of health issues in execution of responsibilities at appropriate level.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work.
- Capacity to work independently, efficiently with flexibility.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including ability to speak in public, good writing, communication, and negotiation skills.
- Fluent in local dialect and English speaking and writing.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English is required. Conversant in any local language is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment.
This position should be filled only by candidates who are a national (Filipino Nationals) at the country of the duty station.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via email@example.com not later than 25 February 2022. Position title and CFA Number (CFA 2022 003 – National Health Officer) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.