Paralegal – Generalist
United States (Remote)
We are thrilled to announce Handshake’s $200M Series F funding round. At Handshake, we believe that a career opportunity shouldn’t be determined by who you know or what you’ve done. It’s about what you can – and will – do. Your future, not your past. Our Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel our next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. Handshake’s community includes 20 million students and young alumni around the world from 1,400 educational institutions, including four-year colleges, community colleges, boot camps, and 290+ minority-serving institutions. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers – from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, nonprofits, and even sports teams like the LA Dodgers. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally.
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
The Paralegal assists with case planning, development, and management, legal research, interviews clients, gathers facts and retrieves information, drafts and analyzes legal documents and collects, complies and utilizes technical information, to make recommendations to an attorney.
Must be able to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Communicates and informs leadership of issues, status, and results of assigned tasks.
- Identifies project issues and recommends corrective action as appropriate.
- Leverages legal knowledge and business acumen to support the company in achieving its objectives.
- Recommends process improvements for area of responsibility.
- Assists in one or more areas of the legal team: litigation, commercial matters, contracts, corporate governance and privacy, subpoena/ records request processing, legal intake and matter management, as assigned by the direct leader.
- Assists in evaluation of feasibility, effectiveness and efficiency of projects and initiatives.
- Prepares and updates project plans and proposes milestones and deadlines for new and ongoing initiatives.
- Prepares status reports to update leadership on ongoing projects.
- Assists in analyzing current company procedures and in identifying best practices.
- Assists with preparation and analysis of data to identify exposures and risks. Support strategies for reducing costs and transferring risk.
- Tracks and ensures that all deadlines are met in an accurate and efficient manner.
- Provides proactive analysis of current projects and analytical review of reported results.
- Maintains professional skills through research, continuing education and training.
- Reviews files to determine accuracy and completeness.
- Collaborates with team members and communicates relevant information to leadership.
- Upholds the security and confidentiality of documents and data within area of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited program preferred, or a combination of education and/or experience.
- 2-3 years of significant and substantive experience as a paralegal/legal assistant in a law firm setting.
- Experience drafting, cite-checking, and correcting legal briefs (trial and appellate).
- Experience managing medium to large-scale document productions.
- Working knowledge and competency with case management software.
- Proficiency with Google Docs Suite.
- Basic principles, concepts and methodology of legal proceedings and legal research.
- Within the introductory period, obtain a working knowledge of State Bar Law, Rules of Conduct and procedures as they apply to the performance of major duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Knowledge of attorney client relationships applicable to the performance of major duties and responsibilities of the position.
- Problem identification, analysis and evaluation.
- Principles of effective writing and verbal presentation.
- Knowledge of Westlaw or other computerized legal research system(s).
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
At Handshake, we’ll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- Stock: Ownership in a fast-growing company.
- Hub-Based Remote Work: Handshakers can enjoy the flexibility of remote work whilst ensuring in-person collaboration, and team experiences remain possible.
- Financial Management with Origin: We provide you with a professional financial planner via Origin to gain a better understanding of making the most of your compensation, equity, benefits, and perks.
- Paid Parental Leave: All new parents at Handshake (both birth and non-birth giving) are encouraged to take time to focus on their growing family and are eligible for paid family leave. US Handshakers are provided up to 16 weeks of paid family leave for birth-giving parents and 10 weeks for non-birth-giving parents.
- Mental Health Assistance: We are here to support you in every step of your mental health journey; our benefits include Employee Assistance Programs that offer counseling support for those eligible.
- Home Office Stipend: Handshake offers $500/£360 for you to spend on setting up a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- Learning: Learning & Development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- Team Bonding: Regularly scheduled virtual company-wide and team events! Once it’s safe, we’ll provide meaningful connection points throughout the year for Handshakers to build community and meet teammates in person.
- Great team: Working with fun, hardworking, nice people who are committed to making a difference!
- 401k: We care about your ability to save for your future. Launching Spring 2022, Handshake will offer a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- Healthcare: World-class medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage.
- 2022 Time Off: All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. We also offer 8 standardized holidays, 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off, and 2 one-week periods of Collective Time Off (7/4-7/8/2022) and (12/26-12/30/2022).
- Pension: Handshake matches 3% of your salary towards your pension scheme.
- Healthcare: Handshake’s comprehensive healthcare policy covers 100% of employee premiums & 100% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision benefits.
- 2022 Time Off: Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
Benefits above apply to employees in full-time positions.