at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
Redwood City, CA (Open to Remote)
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
CZI also supports multiple work options. Learn more about our philosophy and approach here.
The CZI Payroll team is responsible for the accuracy and completeness of information across all CZI initiatives and entities. Payroll and accounting are complex and highly impactful at CZI. We focus on providing precise and reliable payments, taxation and data validation to our CZI employees, business partners and external parties alike.
A successful candidate will have a wide range of functional and technical payroll experience while working in a variety of industries. Bringing methodical and innovative perspectives to CZI payroll will allow a successful candidate to both lead and drive process improvement. Multi-state jurisdiction and taxation regulation experience around a remote workforce will propel CZI payroll into the future. Candidates should have developed skills around payroll tax regulations for private and non-profit organizations. Candidates must be extremely detail oriented and continually strategize to minimize risks by creating stop gaps work towards a 0% margin in data entry errors. We value truth-seeking, analytical rigor, and partnership collaboration.
We are looking for a Payroll Manager to manage one staff and to support the life-cycle of payroll for CZI, LLC employees from hire to termination and who will mentor our payroll staff. From collaborating with our central ops partners to ensuring our employees are explicitly and accurately paid on time, this new role will also drive payroll accounting and reporting to attest to the validity and rigor required to maintain data integrity that CZI requires . Activities for payroll accounting include but are not limited to assisting with month-end close processes, navigating relationships and invoices with our vendors and ensuring all payroll cash is reconciled weekly.
- Lead and act as functional SME for Workday payroll implementation projects.
- Manage and register UI and STD tax withholdings in multiple states and local jurisdictions.
- Assist with processing/reviewing payroll, including, but not limited to adding new employees, updating earnings and payroll deductions, managing direct deposit and tax withholding information, coordinating special/manual payments, processing terminations via ADP Databridge.
- Manage the performance bonus cycle and payments.
- Manage and reconcile all 401K files and funding for contributions, safe harbor match, loans, forfeitures and adjustments.
- Manage and drive process improvements for leave administration regarding payroll payments.
- Manage one payroll team accountant, People Services, Benefits and Finance teams, to keep ADP and Workday systems current and syncing data until we go live with Workday.
- Maintain and organize files and backup for all payroll records, invoices and reporting.
- Run and create various ad hoc reports as required from ADP and Workday into Excel with pivots.
- Assist in preparing monthly payroll reconciliations with the reporting team.
- Provide support and training to new managers and employees on payroll processes and expectations.
- Ad hoc projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Business, or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years payroll related experience in medium to large non-profit/philanthropy, academia, or tech industry, preferred.
- Advanced MS Excel experience.
- Experience with Labor Relations and Benefit/Total Reward services.
- Experience with ADP Workforce Now preferred.
- Experience with implementing Workday Payroll/Benefits/Time Tracking required.
- Experience managing a 401K plan with a backdoor Roth option, and quarterly audits are required.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal relations, written and oral communications skills.
CZI believes that vaccines are one of the most powerful tools to fight COVID-19 and save lives. It aligns to our mission and work to cure, manage, and prevent disease. Proof of completed COVID-19 vaccination, including eligible booster(s), will be required for all employees (with the exception of reasonable accommodations due to medical or religious beliefs). All visitors coming onsite to a CZI facility are required to show proof of COVID vaccination, including eligible booster(s), or take an onsite COVID test.