The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with a network of 192-member National Societies. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” The IFRC works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters, health emergencies and other crises.
The IFRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement), together with its member National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC). The work of the IFRC is guided by the following fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality.
The IFRC is led by its Secretary General, and has its Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. The Headquarters are organized into three main Divisions: (i) National Society Development and Operations Coordination; (ii) Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization; and (iii) Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services.
The IFRC has five regional offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Middle East and North Africa, Europe, and the Americas. The IFRC also has country cluster delegation and country delegations throughout the world. Together, the Geneva Headquarters and the field structure (regional, cluster and country) comprise the IFRC Secretariat.
The IFRC Country Delegation in Greece provides support to the Hellenic Red Cross through long-term programming and emergency response, as well as National Society Development and capacity building efforts. Current programme priorities include the Greece-related components of a regional emergency appeal for population movement and the global COVID-19 response, as well as longer-term programmes on national society development, health and migration. Cash-based interventions remain an important component of programming and is expected to continue to play a role in future programming modalities.
Reporting to the IFRC Program Coordinator, the position holder will focus on providing professional support and assistance to the completion and delivery of reports, establishing and maintaining effective monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems, and supporting the IFRC planning and evaluation of programs.
The position is located in the IFRC Country Delegation in Athens, Greece to support the coordination of all PMER aspects of IFRC programs.
In cooperation with the IFRC Regional PMER Unit in Budapest, the PMER officer will also act as a technical resource to the IFRC Country Office, with the aim of strengthening the Hellenic Red Cross’s PMER systems and practices and provide training and on spot coaching as required.
Job duties and responsibilities
- Participate and give guidance to emergency, operational and program planning processes for quality and accountability
- Support the development, design and writing of proposals and concept notes, as relevant
- Assist on key planning documents and processes, including IFRC Disaster Response Emergency Fund Plans, Emergency Appeals, Emergency Plans of Action, Country Operation Plan and Project Proposal drafting among others.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Assess and help strengthen current monitoring and evaluation systems, tools and approaches adopted by the IFRC
- Support the operations in setting up and maintenance of monitoring structures needed to ensure that all programs are identified, planned and carried out in a coordinated, collaborative and integrated manner
- Work closely with program teams to process, analyse and use information collected to improve management, make necessary adjustments and assess trends
- Build strong relationships with colleagues and provide support as required to ensure PMER system is understood and supported at field and country office level
- Provide technical and methodological support to programs for the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities and data management
- Ensure data collection is of quality
- Develop and maintain indicator tracking tools and generate monthly indicator reports
- Conduct field monitoring visits as necessary
- Provide technical support and coordination for the evaluations required by IFRC in Greece, as relevant
- Act as the reporting focal point for the IFRC plans and operations
- Produce accurate, quality and timely standard and non-standard pledge-based narrative donor reports, as well as internal reports related to the Operational Plan (e.g., ops updates, situation reports, facts & figures or other relevant reports)
- Keep up to date with donors’ and IFRC reporting requirements, guidelines and resources, and ensure they are being followed by all Partners
- Ensure close coordination with the finance team on financial reports and coherence between narrative and financial reports
- Coordinate all monitoring and reporting activities closely with the Regional PMER, and Partnerships unit
- Support the IFRC in its different Information Management (IM) needs, depending on capacity and need
- Support the HRC in developing its IM capacity, depending on capacity and need
- Support the HRC in developing its PMER Capacity (including PMER assessment needs) through on-spot coaching’s and trainings to counterparts and technical key staff
Duties Applicable to all Staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
- University degree in relevant field such as Social Sciences, International Relations, Information and Data management, Economics, or related field
- 2-years working experience in a similar role
- Strong background in Project Cycle Management, Monitoring, Information Management, and Reporting
- Good understanding of humanitarian responses, actors involved and the role of evidence-based decision making for the delivery of humanitarian action
- Experience in writing, editing and analysing complex reports
- Experience in project/donor proposal drafting
- Experience working in a humanitarian/non-profit organization
- Experience in working with refugees and people on the move
- Experience working with other Red Cross and Red Crescent partners
- Experience with Cash Based, Protection and/or Integration programmes
- Planning, implementing and monitoring projects from proposal to evaluation
- Facilitation and training experience, as well as skills in training and developing staff
Knowledge, skills and language
- Excellent written communication skills including report writing and editing skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to deliver under pressure and tight deadlines
- Computer literacy skills with advanced skills in MS Excel and data bases
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative methods
- Able to work independently and as part of the team
- Proactive and ability tackle challenges constructively finding creative ways forward
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills, including tact and assertiveness, with demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Fluently spoken and written Greek
- Ability to conduct mobile data collection (e.g., KoBo, ODK, CommCare)
- Graphic design and data visualization skills
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Values and Competencies
Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust
How to apply
Interested candidates may apply via the following link by the 24th of November, 2021.
Kindly note that this is a National Position. Eligibility to work in Greece is required.
Only shortlisted Candidates will be contacted. All CVs will be treated with strict confidentiality.
Contract type: Fixed term contract until 30.06.2022 with possibility of extension.