Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS supports partners to build a better future by providing services that increase the efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability of peace building, humanitarian and development projects. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
New York Service Cluster (NYSC) supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. It was formed by combining the following portfolios: Grants Management Services (GMS), UN Technology Support Services (UNTSS), Development and Special Initiatives Portfolio (DSIP) It provides Services to partners’ programmes that are designed, structured, and managed with a global perspective and primarily serving partners that are headquartered in New York. The SDC has a footprint of approximately 125 countries.
Under supervision of the Project Manager, the Portfoliio Senior Assistant provides a range of administrative services to the portfolio. The incumbent may take routine decisions on administrative actions based on established authority and guidelines.
The incumbent of this position will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Financial and Administrative Support
- Assist with administration and regular monitoring of all budgetary, financial, procurement and routine aspects of project delivery;
- Assist with the preparation and processing of budgets and required formats in compliance with UNOPS requirements for internal approval, review of budgets to confirm if funds are available; run budget reports including transactions details and exceptions; Monitor expenditures, verification for accuracy of expenditure requests (CPs, invoices, F10s) and availability of funds, completeness of documentation submitted;
- Lead administrative arrangements (e.g. logistics) for conferences/meetings;
- Interact with colleagues, clients and partners to exchange information on administrative issues and seek co-operation. Resolution of routine administrative and process problems, referring complex issues to supervisor with recommendations for course of action;
- Create Requisitions and Purchase Orders (POs); performance of reconciliation activities such as closure and cancellation POs. Inquiries on PO details and activities. Generation of PO reports for expedition, status and details information; and create receipts including information such as distributions,rejections and cancellations;
- Create vendor details and approval follow-ups;
- Monitoring of payments and follow up when problems arise; Review of payment vouchers and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, compliance with UNOPS FRRs and correctness of account code charges;
- Analysis of financial reports, investigation and preparation of adjustments as required;
- Maintain contract-tracking plan to review sub-contractor invoices and supporting documentation and ensure that services provided and claims are in conformity with the terms of the contract;
- Act as focal point with projects on Asset Reporting as per UN MOU requirements.
- Create, import, review, correct and proces journal entries in General Ledger. Review and run inquiries included in journal, ledgers, or accounting entries;
- Prepare routine project communications, documentation, reports and contracts, checking documents for accuracy and compliance with UNOPS format and style;
- Prepare briefing materials , as required for mission travel and/or discussion on project activities and status;
- Prepare financial authorizations for project activities for approval of the Supervisor;
- Maintain accurate records of all operational and financial transactions for easy reference and retrieval; efficient document management including file closures, archiving and monitoring due dates for project progress status reports and submission by UNOPS of substantive and financial/budget utilization reports to clients;
- Process travel and expenses according to established procedures and practice;
- Review of international and/or local consultant, staff and consulting firm’s Terms of reference (TOR) to ascertain conformity with work-plans; initiation of recruitment on receipt of client/supervisor clearance. Request of contracts for international programme staff including consultants;
- Support Project Manager in management, implementation monitoring of HR related requests including HR Monitoring Tools;
- Perform backstopping role during the absence of Project Manager under the overall cordination of the Senior Portfolio Manager
- Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
Implementation of Operational Strategies and Procedures:
- Full compliance of operations with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Inputs to the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in operations, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing:
- Input and update of accurate data and information to facilitate monitoring and evaluation of project activities, and to institutionalize and disseminate knowledge.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with colleagues and clients.
*FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
*CANDIDATES WITH NO UNITED NATIONS OR UNOPS EXPERIENCE ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY**
- A secondary education/High school diploma is required.
- A University degree (Bachelor’s or Master’), will be considered an asset and may substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of progressive experience in administration, finance, programme project support or related experience is required.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word or G-sheets and G-Docs is required**Desired Experience (The following experience is optional. Candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):**
- Knowledge of OneUNOPS is desirable.
- Familiarity with UNOPS policies and procedures, especially with regard to finance, procurement of personnel, goods and services desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of a second UN official language an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contractual Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: LICA-5/ICSC-5
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
How to apply
Detailed job description and to apply: https://jobs.unops.org/pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=22804#5