Principal Software Engineer
At Wisetack, we’re building financially responsible consumer lending products that help service-based businesses thrive.
Wisetack is a well-funded ~100-person startup founded in 2018 by a team of experienced fintech veterans, with a leadership team that comes from PayPal, LinkedIn, Lending Club, Affirm, Amazon, and other top companies. We’re backed by leading VCs, including Insight Partners, Greylock, and Bain Capital Ventures, (investors in Airbnb, LinkedIn, Instagram, Dropbox, and many more).
We raised a $45M Series B last year and since then, we’ve invested in our people and technology and signed a slew of new partnerships. This is a fun stage in any company’s lifecycle where we’ve got the core foundation built, a healthy growth rate, and a clear path to success, but you’d still be joining early enough to help shape the future of the company.
Most recently, we’ve been recognized as the Best Consumer Lending Solution by Finovate Awards. Business Insider called us one of the 70 most promising startups changing the world of finance, and LendIt selected us as this year’s winner in the Best Emerging Lending Platform category for their Fintech Industry Awards. The external recognition is great, but we’re equally — if not more — happy with the recognition from our customers. Our current NPS rating is a sky-high 78 (industry average hovers around the 40s or 50s, depending on who you ask). We’re proud that we’re building a product that customers love as well as being recognized as a Great Place to Work by our team members.
Our Engineering Team Principles
Everyone is an engineer. No matter what their title is, everyone contributes to the code. Everyone delivers.
Initiative and ownership. We want every team member to lead the work they do. Design the best solutions and implement them. Ask for help from others when you need it.
One team. We are low ego and support each other.
Learning and growth. We believe growth is a huge motivator. We want everyone on the team to have an opportunity to learn and grow in their career. If you are smart and want to learn, you should be with us even if you don’t have all the skills we need at the moment.
Check out this post from our blog where we go into more detail about these principles.
Wisetack is looking for a Principal Software Engineer to be an early foundational member of the technical team. You will be a leader within your team, not as management, but as a force multiplier who sets examples of good code and who helps their teammates contribute to their full potential.
- Write good code. You will implement new features, troubleshoot and fix bugs, and set an example for your teammates in how you do so.
- Keep in mind a bigger picture than just your own work. Always look for ways to improve our code and our process, thinking about not just what we need now, but what we will need next month and next year.
- Take ownership. You will keep an eye out for tech debt, buggy edge cases, and other pain points; bring them to the attention of your team, and help establish and prioritize a path to reducing or eliminating them.
- Work efficiently and improve efficiency. We select good tools, integrate them, and build automation to expedite our own work and get better quality at lower cost. You will need to think and work this way too.
- Collaborate and communicate. You will review code and documentation produced by other engineers, suggesting changes to increase the quality of their contributions. You will help establish and document best practices. You will seek out feedback from your peers, to increase the quality of your own contributions. You will be an active participant in our Scrum process: refining, planning, standups, and demos.
- And, most importantly, care about the business and move it forward. We will win together. The company is very transparent, so you will be engaged and connected to our business goals.
- Understanding of web applications and RESTful APIs, from the backend and/or frontend perspective
- Java, React, and/or AWS (DynamoDB, Lambda, SNS/SQS, etc) – you don’t need to be an expert in all 3 of these, but an ideal candidate will at least have strong experience with 2 of them
- Learning and problem solving
- Communication, collaboration, analysis, and architecture
- Fintech experience is a plus