Position Title : Programme Coordinator (Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion)
Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 29 November 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM in South Sudan has a broad range of programming centred around three broad areas: humanitarian coordination and support; humanitarian response and resilience; and peacebuilding, transition and development. Humanitarian coordination and support includes leading/co-leading the Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM) and Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI) Clusters, Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM), Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and management of a Shelter and NFI core-pipeline, humanitarian hubs and common transport services. Humanitarian response and resilience includes WASH, Shelter & NFI, health, protection, gender equality and inclusion, mental health and psychosocial support and the management of a Rapid Response Fund. Under peacebuilding, transition and development, IOM South Sudan implements programming on housing, land and property issues, transition and recovery, transhumance conflict prevention, community development and migrant management.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision of the Head of Operations and, the successful candidate will be responsible to manage the protection, Gender-Based Violence (GBV), gender equality and inclusion projects and activities of IOM South Sudan as well as provide technical advice in these areas to the IOM South Sudan Senior Management Team. The Programme Coordinator (Protection, Gender Equality & Inclusion) will also be expected to initiate and collaborate with external partners, including Protection Cluster and the other programmatic units to ensure mainstreaming of protection, GBV prevention and response, gender equality and inclusion in all relevant IOM South Sudan’s programmes. S/he will also ensure that the Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) and Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) considerations are integrated in all IOM South Sudan’s programmes.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion Unit as, operational project management as regards the IOM South Sudan standalone protection, gender equality and inclusion programs, and technical oversight for protection, gender equality and inclusion components of programs operated by other Units.
- Identify needs and opportunities for IOM South Sudan to further strengthen its protection and inclusion programming.
- Liaise and collaborate closely with relevant stakeholders to help ensure that IOM South Sudan protection, gender equality and inclusion activities are broadly known amongst key actors including donors and relevant authorities.
- Prepare reports, briefings, background material and social media content as required in this regard to proactively support donor engagement and assist in creating funding opportunities.
- Act as protection, gender equality and inclusion focal point for IOM South Sudan in respect of UN coordination and inter-agency mechanisms and fora including the Protection Cluster and its sub-clusters.
- Provide advice on protection, gender equality and inclusion to the IOM South Sudan Senior Management and Project Support Unit and mainstream protection, gender equality and inclusion across the IOM South Sudan areas of work, including but not limited to internal policies and practices.
- Develop, update and disseminate the IOM South Sudan Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion Strategy and Addressing Gender-Based Violence in Crisis action plans and develop and organize capacity building for IOM South Sudan in this regard.
- Oversee and guide the management by the Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion Unit of individual protection cases identified through IOM South Sudan program activities and establish a system of referrals and safe response to protection incidents as appropriate.
- Strengthen the Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion Unit’s programme monitoring, evaluation and knowledge management system in close collaboration with the IOM South Sudan and the Programme Support Unit.
- Support IOM South Sudan to implement the PSEA commitments across all Mission activities, act as main support to the IOM South Sudan PSEA focal points network and liaise with the IOM Global PSEA coordinator as required.
- In close collaboration with the IOM South Sudan CCCM Unit, coordinate and guide the further improvement of the integration of AAP Framework across all IOM South Sudan programming.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in International Law, Political or Social Sciences, Human Rights or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven experience in successfully developing and maintain working relationships with Government counterparts, inter-governmental organizations, UN agencies and national and international NGOs in politically complex contexts around protection and inclusion;
• Experience in the field of protection and inclusion including at least three years of relevant field experience as a Protection Officer, Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Officer or equivalent in a crisis or post-crisis context;
• Experience of working in contexts with complex migration issues including forced displacement a distinct advantage;
• Solid experience in team-management, experience of managing teams operating in remote field locations a distinct advantage;
• Experience in developing and managing protection and inclusion projects is a requirement;
• Knowledge of, and experience with, key inter-agency coordination mechanisms in crisis and postcrisis contexts is a distinct advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic, French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 29 November 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 16.11.2021 to 29.11.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2021 218 Programme Coordinator (Protection, Gender Equality and Inclusion) (P3) Juba, South Sudan (57173249) Released
Posting: Posting NC57173293 (57173293) Released