UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The Southeast Asia Energy Transition Partnership (ETP) brings together governments and philanthropies to work with partner countries in the region. We support the transition towards modern energy systems that can simultaneously ensure economic growth, energy security, and environmental sustainability. Enabling the transition toward greener energy systems will greatly contribute to the achievement of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Paris Climate Agreement objectives.
ETP is initially focusing on Indonesia, the Philippines and Vietnam, which are the countries in the region with the highest energy demand, a substantial pipeline for fossil fuel-based projects, and a significant and cost-effective potential for renewable energy and energy efficiency. ETP provides High Level Technical Advisory Support, Holistic Support to Governments on financing and technical needs, capacity and skill development and facilitation of dialogues in all related areas.
A Secretariat incorporated into UNOPS will support the Steering Committee (SC) and facilitate the implementation of SC’s decisions. The Secretariat will operate as per defined Terms of Reference approved by the SC. The Secretariat will undertake day-to-day management and operation of the ETP: (1) it launches Calls for Proposal and carries out proposals assessments; (2) it provides assistance and support to projects; (3) facilitates the design, development and implementation of an overall M&E strategy; (4) monitors progress made by each project during the implementation phase.
The Secretariat will work in close cooperation with the SC, the Advisory Committee and the Fund Manager, as well as UNOPS Services. The members of the secretariat will be selected following UNOPS rules and regulations.
Within the framework of the delegated authority, the incumbent is assigned the following duties which are performed according to organizational needs and structure:
Reporting to the Fund Manager, the incumbent assists with the project’s budget management, financial flows, and grants and contract management to support successful financial management of the multi-donor trust fund and its programs, adhering to fund management and project management methods and strategies, reducing risks and improving success rates.
The incumbent promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations, with responsibility for budget control functions,accounts maintenance and reporting. The Incumbent works in close collaboration with IPAS Finance and other relevant colleagues in HQ as well as colleagues in the support services, programme and project functions in the field offices, resolving finance-related issues and information exchange; he/she promotes a client, quality and results-oriented approach.
Summary of key areas of operation:
- Budgetary and monitoring control, and accounting support
- Consolidating Preparing Reporting, including financial reporting
- Fiduciary management support and assistance to grants and consultancies and financial control
- Project Implementation and support to implementing partners
Under the general guidance and supervision of the Fund Director, the Programme Management Associate’s responsibilities include the following:
- Support to ensuring administration and implementation of operational strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules, regulations, and policies of financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Elaboration of proposals and identification of implications, supporting setting up systems and assisting with forecasting financial flows of ETP.
- Support to ensuring efficient budgetary control and accounting functions, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Extraction of required financial information from project agreements and setting up of necessary accounts in line with existing UNOPS financial policies and procedures.
- Compilation of data for the preparation of budget estimates.
- Monitoring and reviewing the status of budgetary allocations and expenditures on an ongoing basis. Continuous networking with clients/partners to provide feedback and mutually agree on corrective actions, when required.
- Establishment and maintenance of proper financial controls mechanisms to stay within budget allotment.
- Maintenance of cash books, control of disbursements, analysis and reconciliation of accounts.
- Preparation and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, regulations, rules, i.e. disbursements within authorized limits, contractual agreements, payments to suppliers, travel claims, and all other financial transactions of ETP.
- Initiation and follow-up completion of payment requests, including approval, ensuring that documentation is complete and that all required procedures are fulfilled to enable the payment.
- Review and confirm the validity of charges by verifying authorized amounts and ensure availability of budget and funds.
- Maintenance of ledgers and accounting records for classification and recording of financial transactions and for the reconciliation of accounts and preparation of recurring or special reports.
- Clarification and response to queries and observations of auditors (both internal and external).
- Review of vouchers and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, and correctness of account code charges.
- Support to ensuring effective financial reporting and control, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to the preparation of monthly expenditure and forecast schedules and quarterly and year-end statements.
- Timely entry of transactions in the computerized accounting and finance system and timely submission of monthly accounts; adherence to UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations in all financial transactions
- Contacts with SSU to verify, correct, add and improve quality of financial reporting.
- Frequent contact with other finance staff in the organization in the preparation of payments, data reconciliation, client reporting, or audit activities.
- Preparation of financial progress reports for Funders and UNOPS, as per the agreements.
- Support to ensuring project monitoring and reporting
- Provide inputs to the preparation of project reports and documents, maintaining records and project management systems and tools. (Project risk matrix, issue log, lessons identified and learned, Monitoring and Evaluation database, Contract Management System
- Manage Call for Proposals and EAC submissions
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for planning and knowledge building.
- Contribute to expertise in tools and techniques.
- Participate in ETP Secretariat’s team meetings and other relevant stakeholder meetings.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting, Finance or related fields is required.
- Bachelor’s degree with financial management, accounting, economics, development or related field- or- University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Environmental Sciences, Energy, Finance, Accounting or related fields would be desirable and may substitute some of the required work experience. .
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in providing support in project and budget management systems with focus on finance, monitoring, reporting, or coordination in combination with a High School Diploma is required.
- Proficiency in computer and office software packages (G-Suite) and experience in handling web-based management systems is preferred.
- Experience in professional text and document drafting in English.
- Experience in grants and contracts management is an asset.
- Experience in compiling narratives from a wide range of information and reports is desired.
- Knowledge of UN rules and procedures in Procurement, Finance, HR Management and administrative rules and regulations is desired.
- Fluency in English is required. Regional language skills are an asset. Working knowledge of another, official UN language is desirable.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (LICA)
Contract level: ICS-6/ LICA-6
Contract duration: 100 days with possibility of extension
The position is based in a family duty station
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- This is a local position, therefore only nationals of duty station or applicants who are legally entitled to be employed in the duty station will be considered.
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
***Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Click this link to apply: