Position Title: Project Assistant (Engineering)
Duty Station: IOM Philippines Country Office (Marawi City)
Classification: General Service Staff, G-4**
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 03 March 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Satellite Office, and with the direct supervision of Senior Programme Assistant (SPA), the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for the support of the IOM’s Programmes in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, and neighboring provinces in line with IOM policies, standards, and commitments.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Assist in the preparation of detailed and achievable strategies and activities including identification and assessments for the improvement or rehabilitation of social infrastructures and community safe spaces (CSS) in coordination with program team.
- Work with the engineering and program teams to organize and facilitate consultations with partners, community and IDPs for the development of culturally sensitive social infrastructure designs, technical program of works, and bills of quantities (BOQs).
- Support the program team in the preparations of CWG consultations, identification and organization of field construction teams who will be engaged on Cash for Work (CfW) for the rehabilitation or improvement of social infrastructures in communities.
- Work with program teams in the development of assessment tool and selection criteria for the prioritization of social infrastructures and CSS in the covered communities.
- Support the engineering and program teams in working closely with procurement/logistics personnel pertinent to timely delivery of construction materials, including providing quality control advice on the construction materials needed for the project.
- Assist in identifying, and reporting critical gaps seen in the implementation of project activities.
- Assist in the monitoring and quality control of improvement/rehabilitation activities and ensuring timely implementation of improvement/rehabilitation activities.
- Support the project engineering team in ensuring technical compliance of construction and rehabilitation activities with government, donor and IOM regulations and standards at field level
- Assist on the preparation of project progress and accomplishment reports including photo documentation (before and after) to the Project Management Team, indicating recommended project support actions as required/necessary.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience, preferably in engineering or similar roles.
- High School degree with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Preferably a Certified Professional Civil or Structural Engineer in the Philippines Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC).
- Experience in construction and/or rehabilitation of social infrastructure and community safe spaces facilities.
- Experience working construction groups, contractors, and with local or national government agencies and non-government organizations and private sector groups.
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously under time constraints – accurate and detail oriented.
- Computer literacy with MS Office applications and construction drawing software.
- Knowledge of BARMM context, post conflict settings, and on Mindanao protection issues is an advantage.
- Effective coordination with relevant government agencies and partners.
- Skills on structural engineering, and preparation of designs, technical tools, and assessments.
- Planning, reporting, and monitoring.
- Community mobilizations and coordination.
English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Filipino is required. Working knowledge of any local dialects, especially Maranao is an advantage.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:**
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1*
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa, and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
The position involves onsite and/or offsite work (or a combination of both). The working modality will be further discussed during the interviews if candidate is available to work on-site and/or offsite.
How to apply
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM will only accept applications which should include a cover letter (not more than one page), a résumé highlighting the required education and experience, and a duly completed IOM Personal History Form. To access the form, please visit this link (four pages).
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 03 March 2022. Position title and SVN Number (SVN 2022 004 – Project Assistant (Engineering)) should be specified in the SUBJECT field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.