Position Title: Project Development and Reporting Officer
Duty Station: Nouakchott, Mauritania
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 03 March 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros;Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is an intergovernmental organization created in 1951 which occupies a leading position on the migratory scene. Composed of 173-member states, plus eight other states with observer status, IOM has offices in more than 100 countries. IOM works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non- governmental partners to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people. Since September 2016, IOM has become the United Nations migration agency. IOM has been present in Mauritania since 2006 and currently has its main office in Nouakchott and sub-offices in Bassikonou, Selibabi and Nouadhibou.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and the direct supervision of the Head of Programme Support Unit, and in coordination with senior management at IOM Mauritania, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical inputs for the development of new project proposals, coordinating reporting requirements for on-going projects and monitoring the production of analytical and think pieces for the IOM in the Islamic Republic of Mauritania.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical inputs for the development of project proposals in line with IOM project development and implementation handbook, identified priorities by key stakeholders and/or calls for proposals of various donor institutions. Liaise with Regional Office (RO) Dakar for proper review, endorsement and submission.
- In close coordination with relevant project managers, facilitate the review and preparation of project reports, and monitor and follow up on other key reporting requirements, including the correct use of Project Information and Management Application (PRIMA). Coordinate with the monitoring and evaluation support officers for the timely review of project reports.
- In close coordination with the Head of the Programme Support Unit (PSU), draft specific project narrative reports, briefings and background information requested by the Government, donor(s) and other entities.
- Compile regular project updates and assist the Head of the Programme Support and the CoMin his/her activities of liaison with donors, government and other stakeholders (documentation, presentation, analysis etc.) in relation to the activities and strategy of the Country Office (CO).
- Participate in the United Nation (UN) result group on resource mobilization, act as migration, environment and climate change focal point for IOM Mauritania and support other liaison functions required by the post.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Science, Business Administration, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in project development specifically in international development, implementation and evaluation, and/or program implementation and management;
• Good knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
• Familiarity with migration and internal displacement related issues.
• Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to perform a variety of conceptual analyses required for the development, implementation and evaluation of projects;
• Good level of computer literacy, including database applications;
• Excellent drafting ability and analytical skills, the ability to draft papers of high quality primarilyin French;
• Good knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
• Good documentation skills in donor proposals and narrative reports;• Previous related experience in the West African counties is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Arabic and/or any local language is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 March 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 18.02.2022 to 03.03.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2022 53 Project Development and Reporting Officer (P2) Nouakchott, Mauritania
Posting: Posting NC57425513 (57425513) Released