Internship with the UNHCR Office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein in Bern
Throughout the year the UNHCR Office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein (OSL) offers internships with the legal/protection unit as well as the public relations unit. The internships normally last six months. OSL acts as a country office for Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We work closely with the Swiss authorities, non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other relevant actors in Switzerland and Liechtenstein for the protection of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless people. We also seek to support governments to find durable solutions for refugees.
Our interns are part of a small but dynamic team and benefit from individual supervision. They are involved in day to day tasks, but are also entrusted with specific longer and shorter term projects. It is important for us that interns profit from the given tasks and learn more about UNHCR’s mandate and activities.
Protection Internship (focus on Liechtenstein), home office and/or Bern
In order to be considered eligible for an internship, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
• Be a recent graduate or current student in a graduate/undergraduate school programme from a
university or higher education facility accredited by UNESCO;
• Have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies in a field of law or social/political science and a particular interest in refugee protection and human rights;
• Specific knowledge of the political system and experience with the asylum and integration structures of Liechtenstein (Liechtenstein citizenship or residency in Liechtenstein is an advantage);
• Have an excellent knowledge of German and good knowledge of English. Knowledge of French is an
• Have research experience;
• Have strong drafting skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Research and reporting on the asylum and integration structures in Liechtenstein;
• Conduct legal and factual research and collect information on a wide range of protection topics in
• Analyse the situation of asylum seekers, refugees and stateless persons in Liechtenstein;
• Identify and engage with refugee communities in Liechtenstein;
• Support the drafting of reports, briefing notes and background papers on matters relevant to UNHCR
protection activities in Switzerland and Liechtenstein;
• Provide support in preparing and organizing visits and missions to Liechtenstein;
• Perform other tasks as required.
What makes this position attractive
Our interns are part of a small but dynamic team and benefit from individual supervision. They are involved in day to day tasks, but are also entrusted with specific longer and shorter term projects. It is important for us that interns profit from the given tasks and learn more about UNHCR’s mandate and activities. There is also the possibility of hybrid working.
Interns receive an allowance of 1000 CHF/month. They are expected to make their own arrangements for travel, visa, accommodation and living expenses during the internship period. Please be aware that this internship does not carry any expectation or entitlement to employment with UNHCR at the conclusion of the internship or at any time thereafter.
How to apply
Please send your application consisting of a motivation letter indicating your availability and a CV to: vidmar[at]unhcr.org, mentioning “Internship Liechtenstein” in the subject line. The deadline for application is 12 November 2021, with the successful candidate expected to start in January 2022.
We look forward to your application