Position Title: Protection Officer
Duty Station: Bamako, Mali
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 03 March 2022
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Aruba (Netherlands); Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros;Congo (the); Cook Islands; Cuba; Curaçao; Fiji; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Libya; Luxembourg; Madagascar; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
Established in 1951, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is one of the United Nations agencies and the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration. IOM works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners to help ensure the orderly and humane management of migration, to promote international cooperation on migration issues, to assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems and to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees and internally displaced people.
Under the overall supervision of the Head, Migrant Protection and Assistance (MPA), and the direct supervision of the Protection Coordinator, the Protection Officer will be responsible for implementing and helping to expand Mali CO’s counter-trafficking (CT) and mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) activities.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the Protection Coordinator in implementing all CT and MHPSS aspects and deliverables of existing projects in Mali CO on time and on budget according to the work plans, technical requirements, and expenditure of these projects.
- Provide suggestions and technical input for the development of new strategies, projects, and activities that expand the CT and MHPSS portfolio in Mali CO.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of capacity building activities on CT and MHPSS for relevant project stakeholders, institutions, communities, as well as project staff.
- Contribute and provide technical inputs in planning, coordinating, and monitoring of CT andMHPSS activities.
- Draft reports, briefings, and background information on CT and MHPSS activities, as required, including specific information requested by governments and other entities, according to Mali CO and donor formats, in close coordination with the Protection Coordinator as well as the Monitoring and Evaluation Officers based in Mali CO and the Regional Office in Dakar.
- Contribute to the promotion of IOM’s CT and MHPSS activities through awareness raising and visibility. Participate and engage actively in the relevant conferences, workshops, steering committees, and technical working groups, and other fora, and transfer information to relevant colleagues/units.
- Act as s focal point for MHPSS and CT of Mali CO.
- Undertake travel duties in line with prevailing security restrictions, related to protection assessments, liaison with counterparts, and activity implementation, as required.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Humanitarian Affairs, Political Science, Law, Human Rights, Development Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional.
• Experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, protection, and human rights;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions, and NGOs, as well as in the region, is an asset;
• Experience in project management and development and/or monitoring, evaluation, and reporting; donors (including, preferably, EU institutions and civil society organizations);
• Knowledge and working experience on MHPSS and/or CT are an advantage.
• Knowledge of Protection and Protection Mainstreaming is an advantage;
• Excellent organizational and communication skills; and,
• Good understanding of regional migration trends and dynamics.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for all positions in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of one additional UN Language (French, Spanish, Arabic, Russian or Chinese).
For all applicants, fluency in English and French is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of a local language a distinct advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 03 March 2022 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 18.02.2022 to 03.03.2022
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2022 47 Protection Officer (P2) Bamako, Mali (57425418) Released
Posting: Posting NC57425419 (57425419) Released