A unique opportunity to learn about Danish Red Cross’ work in Africa.
Are you interested in humanitarian work, international development and disaster response? And are you ready to move to Ethiopia and get an insight into Danish Red Cross’ international work? If yes, then you might be our new Regional Intern.
The Red Cross Red Crescent is the largest humanitarian organization in the world and for 150 years we have helped people through crisis, wars and disasters. The Red Cross Red Crescent Movement has a unique position and mandate to provide aid regardless of nationality, race or political views. We currently count 19 million volunteers in 192 countries. When disaster strikes, we are there. Join us. Together we can make a world of difference.
The Danish Red Cross Regional Office for Africa is placed in Addis Ababa. From here we provide strategic and management guidance for our countries of operations throughout the continent, including Sudan, South Sudan, Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Ethiopia, Malawi, Kenya and Somalia. Our operations focus on emergency response, forecast based action, resilience building, health, youth, psychosocial support and migration. The position will be regional, but will have its main focus on projects and activities in Ethiopia. However, as parts of the work will have a broad geographical focus the intern is also expected to take on missions to other countries in Africa.
The Intern will support the work at the Regional Office and the Danish Red Cross’ overall response in Africa. This will include:
- Contribute to the preparation of background analyses, concept notes and project applications
- Help maintain an overview of ongoing humanitarian emergencies in the region
- Support Country Managers with reporting and project development and monitoring
- Support with internal communication to DRC staff in the region and at HQ
- Support in developing regional coordination mechanisms, e.g. holiday plans, organograms etc.
- Support day to day activities at Regional Office
- Support file handling system
You will receive ongoing supervision and support by the Head of Region and the Country Manager for Ethiopia.
We expect you to work independently, be action driven and effective. You are resourceful, interested in humanitarian development and want to be part of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, and are engaging and flexible. It is an advantage if you have previous experience working in an international humanitarian organization.
The professional and academic background needed for the internship is:
- Enrollment in relevant university education, e.g. international development studies or Africa studies
- Knowledge of humanitarian work
- Experience from working, studying or living abroad
- Knowledge of the Red Cross Movement is an advantage
- Fluency in both Danish and English is a necessity. As a person, you are result oriented with a cultural sensitivity. You have an ability to both listen and facilitate dialogues with a flexible approach, adapting your way of working depending on the culture and capacities.
As an intern with the Danish Red Cross in Africa, you will get a chance to gain first-hand experience of what it is like to work for the world’s largest humanitarian organization. You will get to work alongside humanitarian professionals in a dynamic office. The internship will provide you with an opportunity to apply what you have learned during your studies in a challenging and inspiring setting.
The internship begins in February and run for approximately 6 months. The working hours are 37 hours a week with flexibility around university related work. The internship is unpaid. However, accommodation and insurance are covered by the Danish Red Cross. Before arriving at the internship, you will have a briefing at the Danish Red Cross Headquarters in Denmark.
Deployment to Ethiopia is subject to approval by our security board. In case the situation in Ethiopia deteriorates another duty station will be considered.
How to apply
Send your CV and an application by 30 November 2021. Please indicate in your application, if you are also applying for other internships in the Danish Red Cross.
Interviews are expected to take early December 2021.
If you wish to know more, please contact Head of Africa Region, Nelima Lassen on e-mail: email@example.com
How to apply
Please click the link to apply: Red Cross – Regional Intern for the Danish Red Cross in Ethiopia, Africa (easycruit.com)