Research Team Manager
Genealogist Researcher | United States
Research Team Manager
- United States
- Genealogist Researcher
When you join Ancestry, you join a human-centered company where every person’s story is important. We believe that by discovering the struggles and triumphs of our past, we can foster deeper bonds and more meaningful connections among families and communities. Our talented team of scientists, engineers, genealogists, historians, and storytellers is dedicated to empowering customers around the world from all backgrounds on their journeys of personal discovery.
With more than 30+ billion digitized global historical records, 100+ million family trees, and 20+ million people in our growing AncestryDNA database, Ancestry helps customers discover their family story and gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Passionate about dedicating your work to enriching people’s lives? You belong at Ancestry.
Genealogical expert who provides mentoring, guidance, instruction and leadership to a team. Bridges the gap between genealogists and operations management. Serves as an advocate for the research team and the professional genealogical community. Is a well-experienced genealogist who has been very successful in the role of either Genealogist or Research Manager (RM). Uses knowledge and expertise to work with Master Genealogists and advise upper management in making appropriate decisions that impact client experience, product quality, and the work of our genealogists. Actively manages cases and/or performs research. Provides administrative leadership and support to a team in partnership with the Operations Director. Reports to an Operations Director.
- Perform Research Manager or Genealogist tasks as defined in prior position’s job description to leverage genealogical expertise and maintain billable hours.
- Ensure quality control, including performing spot checks and proofing cases for RMs.
- Maintain or exceed the expected billable hours target.
Research and Management Duties:
- In conjunction with other Research Team Managers (RTM) and Master Genealogists, ensure team members follow standard operating procedures and maintain genealogy standards.
- Manage contractor resources, including, but not limited to, reviewing potential contractors; maintaining relationships with current contractors; and recommending contractors to RMs for specific cases.
- Assign case sessions to RMs.
- Monitor skills, progress and development needs of RMs and support staff.
- Assist RM with resolving operational bottlenecks.
- Regular one-on-ones with team members to discuss goals and development plan.
- Manage up to 10 people, including conflict resolution, personnel issues, performance appraisals, talent review, etc.
- Utilize Workday and Sequoia to manage team HR administrative tasks (timesheet changes, approve PTO, etc.)
- Partner with learning and development and Master Genealogist for team member development needs, including genealogical skills, task performance, system knowledge, soft skills, etc.
- Set, adhere to, and exhibit best practice standards for consistent and effective working relationships.
- Point of contact for special Ancestryprojects (PR, Who Do You Think You Are?, etc.). RTM will not actively manage these projects.
- Partner with Operations Director for hiring new employees, learning and managing the P & L, overseeing promotions, managing business and team goals.
- Responsible for holding periodic team meetings.
- Partner with Client Relationship Managers regarding case management and client concerns.
- Contribute to growth of ProGen: Attend and participate in company-level
- meetings, committees, projects and beta tests.
- Engage in personal development.
- Tool Knowledge: Smartsheet, Sequoia, Box, Freshservice, Slack, Zoom, Outlook, Word, Excel, and Family Tree Maker.
- Be a spokesperson or representative for speaking events and business events.
- Support and enhance Ancestry’s mission and values.
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $58,000/year + eligible for bonus, equity, and comprehensive benefits including health, dental and vision. Read more about our benefits HERE.
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.