DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
All applications should be received no later than 19 February 2022.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetime. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In 2020, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to fight hunger globally, including its work during the coronavirus pandemic.
In Syria, WFP provides food assistance to more than 4.6 million people each month. This includes families who require emergency assistance when affected by conflict and displacement and also those who need help to improve their nutrition and food security. WFP supports children across Syria with healthy meals and snacks at school, mothers with nutritious diets, and families and communities with sustainable livelihood projects.
CONTRACT TYPE & DURATION
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract – NOC
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Damascus
Number of required employees: 1
This job is based in Damascus, Syria, covering both the risk and compliance responsibilities.
The job holder will report to the Risk and Compliance Officer and will be required to make frequent visits to field offices and review country office processes.
Provide advice and specialized support in the establishment of effective risk assessment and risk management activities; application of controls and compliance with policies and procedures; and contribution to the overall effectiveness of operations and optimization of WFP resources by championing the mainstreaming of WFP’s risk and compliance framework.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the CO Risk and Compliance Adviser in ensuring that risk assessment is embedded in planning and decision-making by developing and monitoring key risk appetite metrics and risk indicators and regular updating of risk registers, including progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions.
- Facilitate periodic and ad-hoc internal control reviews or fact-finding reviews of functional areas and offices to identify the key risks and opportunities to the operation and design appropriate risk responses; facilitate, monitor and report on the implementation of agreed responses.
- Identify lessons learnt and root cause(s) of recurring systemic issues/risks in operation; prepare recommendations on significant matters requiring management action or intervention or changes to global level policies/procedures.
- Prepare comprehensive reports on the status of compliance of internal controls, key oversight themes, and using risk information (e.g. risk indicators, incidents) to highlight areas out of risk appetite and formulate sound recommendations on required actions in areas of risk & compliance vulnerability.
- Provide regular updates/reports to Management on matters related to risk, compliance and quality, including emerging risks and opportunities; escalate risks, as required.
- Build the capacity of WFP teams and partners by raising awareness of and skills in risk management to strengthen the culture of integrity and accountability; provide advice and support to staff on matters related to internal controls, risk management and fraud risk management.
- Proactively contribute to ideas on the enhancement of adequate internal control systems with clear accountabilities, including performance planning and risk management systems, monitoring and oversight processes and techniques, tools, processes to support their implementation.
- Analyze and follow up the implementation status of recommendations raised during internal control reviews and oversight missions from the risk and compliance unit, regional bureau and headquarters.
- Promote and disseminate policies, guidance, good practices, and lessons learnt related to the operation’s internal controls and risk management.
- Contribute to developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), including criteria for conducting risk and compliance missions.
- Assess information/training needs and prepare and deliver training to enhance understanding of risk management and compliance with WFP policies, rules, regulations and procedures. Provide training in WFPs Anti-Fraud and Anti-Corruption standards.
- Other duties, as required.
- Humanitarian or development field with project management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in leading oversight teams and internal control reviews / audit.
- Conducted a risk analysis and developed risk mitigation strategies and performance plans.
- Has conducted monitoring and reporting activities, demonstrating knowledge of results hierarchy, performance metrics and measurement.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in business/public administration, project management, audit, finance, accounting, international development, or other relevant field and/or professional qualificatoin in project management, audit, performance and risk management or other related fields. Or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses
With an Advanced University Degree: At least 5 years of relevant progressively responsible post graduate experience in leading and undertaking and/or contributing to performance plan, risk management activities, including assessing and recommending adequate internal controls and mitigation actions in organizations that use modern enterprise risk management frameworks, techniques and systems
With a First University Degree: At least 7 years of relevant progressively responsible post graduate experience in leading and undertaking and/or contributing to performance plan, risk management activities, including assessing and recommending adequate internal controls and mitigation actions in organizations that use modern enterprise risk management frameworks, techniques and systems
Language: Fluence in both oral and written communication in Arabic and English
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Please upload your professional CV in English in PDF format making sure to include the following in terms of “Experience”:
- Company/Organization name and scope of work of the organization
- Exact Position Title
- Contract type: part-time, full-time, volunteer, consultant, or freelancer
- Start and End date of Employment for each position: From (dd/mm/yyyy) to (dd/mm/yyyy)
- Responsibilities: To mention the main responsibilities that highlight your gained skills and experience
- A proof of your experience will be required in the final stage of recruitment.
Only shortlisted candidates will be invited to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates must get an auto confirmation email once application is submitted.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
If any of the below links do not work by clicking on it, please copy and paste it in the browser address bar:
Please ensure that your VPN is connected before clicking on the link below.
Internal candidates: https://performancemanager5.successfactors.eu/sf/jobreq?jobId=157035&company=C0000168410P
External candidates: https://router.job-listing.wfp.org/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=157035&company=C0000168410P
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.