Did you know thousands of crores worth scholarships in India are accessible for both meritorious and underprivileged students? Probably not. With the unexpectedly increasing cost of education, a wide variety of capable college students are unable to fulfil their aspirations of higher studies. In fact, according to a report by Institute for Policy Research Studies (PRS), New Delhi, the percentage of college students enrolled in class 10th is 77% whilst the percentage of college students enrolled in class 11 is limited to 52%. This in reality depicts the drop-out of college students from class 10th to 11th and makes the need for scholarships in India essential and compelling for them.
To deal with this drop-out situation, the government and various other public as well as private organizations, have come up with suitable aids to meet their financial needs. You are open to a broad variety of scholarships for continuing your schooling such as merit-based, means-based, talent-based sports-based etc. You can explore details about all kinds of scholarships below. However, before heading to the list of such scholarships, you must be aware of some common myths about scholarships in India.
SCHOLARSHIPS IN INDIA – MYTHS
The realm of scholarships is full of misconceptions. Some of the most common myths about scholarships in India are –
- Scholarships are accessible only for college students belonging to economically backward classes or underserved sections of the society.
- Only meritorious college students are eligible to get a scholarship.
- The amount of scholarship that a student receives is not worth your efforts.
- Applying for a scholarship is a tedious task and involves you to comply with too many guidelines.
- You can apply for only one scholarship.
However, when it comes to reality about scholarships in India, the following facts count –
- The realm of scholarships in India is very vast which are applicable for college students of all class, caste, creed, category and gender.
- Scholarships primarily aim at supporting education. Thus, a variety of scholarships are available to meet the custom-needs of college students namely, merit-based, means-based, talent-based, merit-cum-means based, sports-based etc.
- When it comes to education, every small or big effort that you make to get easy access to education counts.
- With the introduction of technology, the application process has turn out to be more convenient and easier.
- You can apply for as many scholarships as you want to but can avail only one. This condition of availing a scholarship may vary from provider to provider.