Senior Accountant, Payroll and Stock Administration
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits. Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
Our values (the guiding principles that reflect our view on what’s important and what’s right): In it for customers, autonomous & accountable, outcomes driven, inclusive collaboration, and decisive.
Human Interest is seeking an experienced payroll professional to join our growing team. The Senior Manager, Payroll and Stock Administration will be responsible for maintaining and operating the Company’s payroll function, processes and systems, including US payroll, commissions payments, bonuses, payroll related taxes, certain business operations, and stock administration. The Senior Payroll Manager will partner and work closely with HR, Equity, and Finance teams. Reporting to the VP, Corporate Controller, this manager will be a true partner to the organization, always approaching work with a lens of adding value to the company.
What you get to do every day
- Support the payroll function and our growing workforce population.
- Responsible for accurate and timely processing of payrolls for all status in the US in compliance with local tax and labor regulations, including variable pay, stock, or other supplemental or non-recurring pay runs, and ensuring timely tax deposits.
- Assist the Sr. Manager in the monthly payroll close and preparation of payroll general ledger accounts.
- Assist in audit work, including auditing payroll data, ensuring accurate wages, tax withholdings, deductions, and garnishments and process quarterly tax adjustments, end-of-year payroll tax and reporting compliance.
- Support management on ad hoc and growth-oriented projects such as scalability initiatives and acquisitions.
- Perform reconciliation and analysis for all stock activity and assist with quarterly and annual agency reporting, filings, W-2 equity compensation, and internal/external audits.
- Stock Administration Support on HI’s company equity plans including new rollouts, eligibility, grant approvals, vesting schedules, settlements, expirations, cancellations, repurchases, terminations, tax withholdings, and other plan-related actions.
- Partner with 3rd party vendor and assist the payroll team to manage and timely process stock option exercises and other equity plan transactions.
- Calculate equity-related employee compensation including regular income and gains from ISO, Non-Qualified, and RSU grants in compliance with current US tax regulations and requirements.
- Maintain database integrity for all payroll and stock activity in the source system of record and ensure SOX compliance with reporting and documentation for equity transactions.
What you bring to the role
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- 15+ years work experience including multi state payroll processing and taxes
- Experience with Payrolls larger than 500 employees and both exempt and nonexempt employees, and multi-state payroll
- Understanding of employment tax rules, including regulatory and compliance matters related to payroll/employment taxation
- Experience with payroll processing related to equity compensation for stock options
- Experience with payroll audits and compliance
- Strong attention to detail
- Positive attitude and the ability to work effectively across the organization
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Organizational and planning skills, including being able to work reliably and efficiently under demanding deadlines with minimal supervision
- Experience with U.S. federal and state taxation relating to equity compensation.
- Experience and understanding of tax matters impacting Human Interest and our employees related to equity awards.
Please feel free to apply to this position even if you do not meet 100% of the requirements listed above.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission – Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Compensation – The salary range for this role is between $115,000 – $130,000. This information reflects a base salary range for this position based on current market data, and may vary by location. Exact compensation will be determined by the candidates’ skills, experience, and other relevant factors. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation.
- Employees also receive 100% paid employee health, vision, and dental premiums; dependent premiums are covered at 50%.
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies.
- Monthly work from home stipend; annual wellness stipend.
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech.
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company-wide offsites.
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote.