SENIOR BOOK DESIGNER
North Adams, Massachusetts
Albany, New York
New York, New York
Designers manage multiple projects simultaneously, developing creative and marketable solutions. Responsible for complete book designs, from covers to interiors, and contributes to the entire bookmaking process. Art directs outside creative talent, such as photographers and illustrators, as well as in-house production designers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design covers and interiors for books.
- Design across a diverse spectrum of subject areas, from gardening, crafts, and cooking, to nature, backyard building, animals, and home enjoyment.
- Oversee the layout of books with the support of in-house production designers, supervising and troubleshooting the design and layout of projects to final files.
- Scout outside designers, illustrators, and photographers. Art direct and project manage hired creative talent.
- Collaborate with and support Editorial teams to realize a collective vision.
- Collaborate with and support Prepress and Production departments to ensure the quality and correctness of print reproduction.
- Work with Creative Director and Managing Editor to maintain and troubleshoot design, illustration, and photography schedules for assigned books.
- At least 3 year of work experience in graphic design, including initial concept generation, through comps, presentations, and preparation of electronic pre-press files.
- Focus on print-based design is required.
- An interest in Storey’s publishing focus.
- Strong organizational, communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in a Macintosh environment and a command of Adobe InDesign as well as a working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.
- Ability to prepare electronic files for press according to print specifications provided is also required.
- Ability to prepare electronic files for press according to print specifications provided is also required. Knowledge of offset printing techniques, in particular color balance and how to achieve it, is important.
- Must have close visual acuity to perform activities such as on-screen design; viewing page proofs for color accuracy; visually inspecting fine design elements; cannot be color blind
- Must be able to sit or stand in one location for extended periods of time
- Must be able to travel to and work at offsite photo shoots