Senior Editor, Her Campus
- New York, NY, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Her Campus Media is the #1 media portfolio for college students and Gen Z. Our brands — Her Campus, Spoon University, College Fashionista, InfluenceHer Collective, and Generation Hired — reach an audience of over 130 million social followers and 19 million monthly unique users, and count more than 50,000 influencers and student ambassadors at 1,800 colleges in our global network. Whether through content, resources, events, or other experiences, our mission is to support, celebrate, inspire, amplify, and equip Gen Z to realize their dreams as individuals and for society. We also power full-service, integrated marketing programs for the world’s top brands, who partner with us to create authentic, meaningful connections with our audience.
Her Campus Media is made up of passionate, entrepreneurial, ambitious doers who are fired up about cultivating the next generation of leaders and changemakers. We are a small but mighty team of individuals, most of whom identify as women, committed to continuing to build a dynamic and inclusive organization where we want to work. Visit our Careers page to learn more about our culture and what makes us tick at hercampusmedia.com/careers!
*This role can be held remotely.*
Her Campus Media (HerCampus.com) is seeking a creative and data-obsessed Senior Editor with a rich understanding of SEO best practices and a zest for all things Gen Z to oversee the daily operations of the site. Reporting to the Deputy Editor, the ideal candidate is an energetic team player who works quickly and is passionate about editing both evergreen college lifestyle stories across different verticals (think: wellness, beauty, style, entertainment, and anything else Gen Z is talking about) as well as more timely newsier pieces, plus ideating and supporting on thought-provoking features and larger packages. They’ll also be immersed in Gen Z spaces, staying up to date on conversations, talent, and trends. Most importantly, candidates must be driven by Her Campus’s mission of mentoring college students and serving as a career launching pad for the nation’s top student journalists.
The Senior Editor will also have a hand in shaping our content strategy, will manage writers, contractors, and possibly junior-level editors, and should be fluent in how to package stories in the most visually appealing ways with the ability to think through a social lens and work collaboratively with social. The ideal candidate should also be someone who delights in the numbers and is zealous about using data and analytics to pitch story ideas and find new areas for traffic growth.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assign and top edit daily content including SEO stories, news, features, and service stories
- Set SEO strategy and manage an SEO contractor
- Track and analyze daily site performance on Google Analytics to inform content and drive traffic growth
- Update existing top-performing stories
- Manage and oversee a team of remote writers (college student contributors) and edit their work
- Ideate and execute on larger content packages and projects
- Support editorial team operations including devising and implementing processes to ensure smooth and effective workflows
- Possibility of managing additional editorial contractors and/or junior-level editors
- Be an expert on Gen Z culture and news
We believe the following will set you up for success in this role. If you don’t have all of these qualifications, please still consider applying and tell us more about what makes you a great candidate for this role! We value unique perspectives, approaches and backgrounds.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4+ years of full-time editorial experience, preferably in Gen Z / women’s digital media
- You know how to identify and execute stories that’ll drive traffic across search and/or social
- You’re fluent in best practices for SEO
- You’re a wizard at writing keyword-rich, clicky headlines
- You’re open to experimenting with content types and topics, and love using analytics to inform strategy
- Proven record of achieving and surpassing traffic goals
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Quick and efficient worker with ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects at once
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to function autonomously and complete projects and tasks without close management and supervision
- Self-starter with go-getter attitude, positive and upbeat nature, and excellent work ethic who doesn’t mind getting his/her hands dirty and is excited about working in a start-up environment
- Passion for Her Campus, our mission, and our audience of college women
Benefits & Perks
- Eligibility for performance bonuses
- Choice among six health insurance plans
- Dental and vision insurance
- 401k retirement savings plan with company matching
- Unlimited PTO and flexibility to work remotely
- Extremely generous company holiday policy, with 16+ paid holidays annually including 2 floating holidays
- Highly parent-friendly culture, including 12 full weeks of parental leave plus additional 4 weeks of part-time parental leave, all fully paid
- Summer Fridays
- FSA and HSA offered
- Life insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Free One Medical membership offering same-day primary care over video or in person
- Free Health Advocate services to help navigate the healthcare system
Interview Process & Expectations
Our timeline is to make a hire by spring 2022. You can expect 3 rounds of interviews, including an initial phone screen and subsequent interviews with our Deputy Editor, Director of Content Strategy, and CEO/Editor-in-Chief. You will also be asked to complete an edit test, which will include several mock assignments.
Please refer to our Interview Prep Guide (hercampusmedia.com/careers/interview-prep) for a general overview of our hiring and interview process and what we look for in applications.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.