Location: United States – Remote Full-Time
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society6, Deny Designs), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
WELL+GOOD: Creating a culture and community of wellness.
Trusted, influential, and famously trend-setting, Well+Good defines and demystifies wellness for a growing global community. Well+Good creates a world where wellness is stylish, achievable, and funconnecting readers with smart, simple ways to add wellness to their lives.
We are looking for a Senior Health Editor to help us grow our Health vertical, with a focus on well-being for all. You’ll be working on all health content for the site (including pitching/ideating, assigning, editing, and strategizing), and also helping to develop and grow health initiatives cross-platform. This person will be the editorial authority for all things health.
A big vision calls for a big job. As we grow, our need for a Senior Health Editor grows with us.
You’ll report to: Deputy Editor, Well+Good
A typical day as a Senior Health Editor might include:
- Own our health coverage end to end, from pitching to assigning to publication
- Edit and publish 2-5 feature stories daily
- Brainstorm and pitch original story and multi-platform package ideas on health topics including women’s health, mental health, health disparities, chronic illness, holistic health treatments, health tech, and more
- Assign stories to both freelance writers and full-time staff and see that they’re executed in a timely manner
- Recruit talented freelance writers and consistently work on refining health writer guidelines
- Update and manage Health vertical guidelines and Health Disparity Beat guidelines
- Attend events and desksides to gather intel for content creation
- Plan the weekly schedule for your sections, with an eye for subject mix
- Work in conjunction with the audience development team to develop strategies for the health vertical in order to achieve monthly traffic goals
- Execute an SEO and franchise hygiene strategy for your vertical
- Collaborate with the editorial, branded content, marketing teams to develop ideas for campaigns and tentpole initiatives pertaining to health and lead health-focused programs editorially
- Guide our health coverage across multiple platforms, including video, audio, and social media, work with different team members to test out new concepts
- Work to identify contributors for different platforms, with willingness to host and create yourself
- Keep your finger on the pulse of the health and nutrition space in order to spot new trends before they hit big
- Mentor junior writers and editors, give feedback in a constructive way in order for them to grow
What You Have:
- 5-8 years editorial experience
- Meticulous editing skillsthe ability to edit for grammar, voice, and flow
- Superior editorial judgment: You know which stories *need* to be covered (and how to do so in a new, interesting way) and which can be skipped
- Ability to lead and execute tentpoles, editorially or sponsored
- Strong writing skills
- Strong wellness, health, and lifestyle industry contacts
- Ability to prioritize and manage your time
- Ability to use Google Analytics, or similar data platforms, and extract actionable insights from data
- Knowledge of SEO best practices
- Interest and experience in other digital platforms (video, audio, social media)
- A passion for high-quality digital content
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- A desire to participate in creating the workplace you want to be a part of.
- We’re casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
You’ll be successful if you are passionate about outstanding content, great ideas, and helping the entire team reach its full potential. The Senior Health Editor is responsible for assigning and top-editing all stories within the health category, and giving feedback on anything health-related across W+G. A thought-leader in the health and mental health space, you have an eye for spotting trends and finding fresh ways to think about themalways with a wellness spin. This is a fast-paced position, and will require you to prioritize your tasks in order to see them executed in a timely way. While this is primarily an editing role, you’ll be expected to write feature, news, and SEO stories when needed.
For full-time permanent roles:
- Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
- Gender neutral family leave
- Paid-to-play vacation rewards
- Discretionary unlimited vacation time
- Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs