The Cities Alliance is a global partnership promoting the role of cities in poverty reduction and sustainable development. Hosted by the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) and managed by a Secretariat based in Brussels, the Cities Alliance is a unique partnership with a diverse membership, which is committed to strengthen developmental impacts through improved coherence in urban development. Cities Alliance is a global leader with a strong track record in grant making, that supports strategic city planning, slum upgrading and national policies designed to make cities more inclusive and sustainable. Through UNOPS, the Cities Alliance operates a Multi-Donor Fund supported by an efficient, and flexible grant-making mechanism with a global reach.
The Cities Alliance history has been closely linked to the Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs). The World Bank has been a founding member of the Cities Alliance, provided a trustee function and hosted the Secretariat until 2013. Several other MDBs (Asian Development Bank (ADB), Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), European Investment Bank (EIB), African Development Bank (AfDB), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), the Islamic Development Bank (IsDB)) have been either a member of the Cities Alliance, and/or worked with the organisations at different point in time.
In fact, as a technical assistance organisation in the urban sector, the upstream work of the Cities Alliance in cities has always been regarded as complementary to the pipeline of the MDBs and it has been used often in preparation of follow up operations. Due to its technical expertise, the Cities Alliance has also been consulted extensively for advice on sectoral work.
The Cities Alliance is now seeking an MDB Senior Engagement Advisor to be responsible for the development and implementation of a new Cities Alliance partnership strategy with the MDBs that would take into account its reinvigorated focus on investments as well as the changed international context in development assistance. The incumbent will be also responsible for driving the engagement forward and improve the prospective role and alignment of Cities Alliance with MDBs. The goal is to expand the collaboration opportunities, identify projects and programs to be implemented by Cities Alliance and tailored to the needs and objectives of the MDBs.
- . Partnership development and planning
- Keep abreast of the trends, monitor and analyse selected MDBs policies and operations related to the urban sector and other sectors which are relevant to the work of the Cities Alliance such as WASH, Energy, Infrastructure, Climate Change.
- Develop a broad network of key senior staff of MDBs through targeted outreach and based on the above assessments and understanding.
- On behalf of Cities Alliance, organize and/or participate in MDBs related events to elevate Cities Alliance’s visibility as well as provide general support and contribute to specific requests from MDBs.
- Strategic positioning
- Conduct research and gather information on strategies, policies, portfolio and pipeline of selected MDBs to identify areas for potential collaboration and pilots.
- Backstop Cities Alliance country offices, to help them to align Cities Alliance operational portfolio to MDBs emerging pipelines.
- Strategically position the Cities Alliance as a technical expert and implementing partner for selected MDBs and identify Cities Alliance’s potential operational roles across the MDBs typical business lines (lending, advisory services and technical assistance).
- Develop business opportunities between Cities Alliance and MDBs
- Coordinate the identification, design, and negotiation of new MDBs’ projects and programs to be implemented by Cities Alliance and tailored to the needs and objectives of the selected MDBs.
- Coordinate the formulation and drafting of the technical and financial proposal in support of the identified project and programmes.
- Follow up on the identified opportunities and establish the working relationships with the partner MDBs in support of the implementation.
TO VIEW THE FULL VACANCY AND TO APPLY ONLINE PLEASE VISIT: