Senior PHP Developer (Remote)
Software Toronto, Ontario
Note: This role is 100% remote.
It’s our time to scale. It’s your time to be part of something big.
Tulip’s mission is bold. We’re a team of experts who have worked with and for retailers over the past 20 years. We are driven to disrupt an entire industry and enable one of the world’s largest job markets.
Tulip has built a retail mobile software platform that empowers leading retailers such as Mulberry, Chanel, Saks Fifth Avenue, Kate Spade, Coach, and Michael Kors to give mobile devices to their store associates so they can elevate service, sell more and provide a personalized experience.
Tulip is a place you come to make an impact, working with like-minded people to build something meaningful using the best technology. We are growing, and while lean is great, we need more people, energy, innovation and talent.
Influence and impact. You will be the voice of the technological side, introducing best practices and the face of the team, encouraging conversations and experimentation. You will have a voice in selecting the core technologies and systems.
Technical challenges and growth. You will help define how we build and scale software and the way we architect our systems. You will be a key contributor as we transition from single tenant environments to a multi-tenant architecture.
Our team focuses on building and delivering Checkout, our mobile Point-Of-Sale for retailers seeking an elevated customer experience. Checkout is a cloud-based application for sales associates that integrates with Tulip’s clienteling and catalogue tools to complete sales and handle payment, whether for in-store transactions or remote payment and delivery.
What you will do:
- Architect and lead the development of new product features.
- Diagnose and resolve complex issues impacting client/server side applications.
- Mentor other developers in the team.
- Perform code reviews.
- Establish best practices for the team and across Tulip.
- Collaborate with other teams.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of software application development
- Proven experience building and shipping high-traffic, highly available backend services
- Proven strength with our tech stack (PHP, Go, Node.js, React) or adjacent tools.
- Experience with GCP, Docker, Kubernetes, or similar technologies.
- Ability to mentor more junior members of the team
- Strong troubleshooting skills to diagnose and resolve production issues
- Degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience
Tulip has perks, career progress, and an intimate culture. We have:
- An excellent healthcare plan with no wait time, paid parental leave, and corporate gym rates.
- A culture of openness and idea generation. We have weekly all-hands and quarterly town halls. We pride ourselves on our transparency and keeping it real. From the most senior to the newest team member, we give you access to decision makers and career building work.
- The opportunity to grow and apply new skills be it hands-on or leadership. We prioritize diversity, inclusion, and building a community. We’re a little weird but in a good way.
- Embraced remote culture! Work remotely, permanently, and full-time.
- Ability for employees in many roles to choose to work a 4 or 4-day week.
- A workcation benefit that’ll let you work reduced hours in order to extend your vacations
Why we are awesome
Tulip is hungry and humble. When you join Tulip, you’ll be part of a strong, thriving, diverse group of people who come from different disciplines, countries, and experiences. We do what we love and it shows in our unrelenting pursuit of affecting real change. We believe in investing in our people, building positive relationships with our customers, and treating our work like our craft.
Tulip is at the cutting edge of technology. We work with big-name retailers. It’s a chance to step up to solving complex technical problems and develop a deeper understanding of the retail world while being part of a niche startup style company. We don’t fear failure; we embrace challenges. We’re excited about taking the lesser known paths, using the open source tools and keeping up with the pace of evolving tech solutions. It’s fun, it’s fast, and it’s future-focused.
Tulip gives back. Inspired, passionate, and committed people helped make us the successful company we are today. We challenge norms and put people before profits. Our CEO, Ali Asaria, created The Tulip Foundation, a charity controlled by all of us, the employees. We believe we can build a great company that changes the technical space while simultaneously giving back to society and the community.
Feel like you can’t tick all the boxes? If you have some of the skills and experience that we’re looking for and are willing to use your talent to learn the rest, we encourage you to apply.
Tulip Retail is strongly committed to equal opportunities in employment. We welcome applications from all minority group members, women, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of Tulip Retail.
Tulip Retail welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.