Senior Specialist, Technical Accounting
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Work From Home, USA
Financial Accounting & Reporting
Job Description Summary
Transamerica has been helping people feel better about the future for more than 100 years, and we’re proud of the trust we’ve earned. But we believe our responsibility goes beyond insurance, investments, and retirement accounts. We’re also in the business of helping people improve their financial and personal well-being, so they can add more years to their lives, and more life to their years.
The Senior Specialist, Technical Accounting will provide expertise to business partners across Transamerica and Aegon. They will develop and revise accounting policy documents and assist in making key accounting policy decisions.
What You Will Do:
- Provide technical accounting guidance related to current and proposed transactions to ensure consistent interpretation and conformity with authoritative accounting literature.
- Maintain oversight over the adoption and compliance of accounting policy.
- Work with management to analyze and consider accounting implications of alternate solutions and support business units with significant and unusual transactions.
- Provide technical expertise in multiple areas of accounting, including independent research and memo completion on complex accounting matters to support key accounting decisions. Prepare memos, policy documents, and issue papers to communicate accounting changes.
- Monitor the IASB and FASB for upcoming standards; assess guidance applicable to the company.
- Make decisions on significant accounting transactions considering financial impact, benefits and drawbacks, and potential legal and regulatory impact.
- Develops, implements, and communicates new policies and processes to comply with newly issued accounting standards.
- Draft financial statement disclosures regarding upcoming accounting pronouncements.
- Work closely with senior management as well as external auditors on complex accounting topics, and engage with legal counsel, regulators, and consultants as needed.
- Serve as the technical accounting subject matter expert.
What You Will Need (qualifications):
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
- Eight years of accounting experience.
- In-depth accounting knowledge, preferably in the financial services/insurance industry.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Written/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Advanced computer skills.
**Please note that the compensation information that follows is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. It assumes that the successful candidate will be in Colorado or perform the position from Colorado. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation. **
The salary for this position generally ranges between $100,000 – $125,000. This range is an estimate, based on potential employee qualifications, operational needs and other considerations permitted by law. The range may vary above and below the stated amounts, as permitted by Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Rule 4.1.2.
This position is also typically eligible for an annual bonus based on the Company Bonus Plan/Individual Performance and is at Company Discretion at a rate of 15%.
- Hybrid work environment *or work from home*
- Moderate travel
What You Receive:
- A Comprehensive Wealth + Health package
- Wealth Benefits
- Health and Work/Life Balance Benefits
Our commitment to inclusion & diversity means that we value differences. We encourage the unique perspectives of individuals and are dedicated to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment.
Why Work for Us
Total Rewards at Transamerica: It’s more than a paycheck.
Our comprehensive Total Rewards package is designed to help support you in many ways — throughout all stages of your life and career. We provide a competitive, market-driven program that encompasses base compensation, bonus potential, retirement, health and wellness benefits, learning and development opportunities, plus great employee perks. All designed with you in mind… to help you live your best life, grow personally and professionally – and feel valued for the work you do.
Learn more about our Total Rewards Package.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Transamerica Life Insurance Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of age, religion, sex, gender identity, genetic information, race, color, national origin, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, participation in the uniformed services (e.g. U.S. Armed Forces, National Guard), physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local equal employment opportunities laws.