Software Engineer III (Java/React)
Fearless is looking for a Software Engineer III to add to our diverse team of 200+ employees (and counting!).
What you’ll be doing
We’re looking to change the world by building software with a soul, and we want your help.
The Software Engineer III leads the development, maintenance, and enhancement of complex software systems that solve customer and user problems. This role brings detailed understanding of the nuances of software development, and depth in a variety of languages, paradigms, technologies, and frameworks to effectively contribute in a wide array of different projects. Software Engineer IIIs are experts in digesting complex tasks and business requirements and aligning a group around an implementation. They are responsible for the smooth delivery of maintainable systems by establishing effective team processes.
What you should know:
- Preferred team member in Maryland with a hybrid work environment. Our office is located in the Spark Building in Baltimore!
- Fully remote options available for candidates located outside of Maryland.
- To protect our Fearless community, and in consideration of the Executive Order on Ensuring Adequate COVID Safety Protocols for Federal Contractors, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Department of Labor, Occupational Safety and Health. Administration (OSHA), and a variety of public health authorities, Fearless is implementing a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for our full workforce. This vaccine mandate will help keep our people and our community safe through this ongoing health crisis.
- All new employees must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered for the position. Reasonable accommodations for qualified exemption requests will be considered
Why we’re excited about you
We need your coding and leadership skills! What other skills will help you succeed at Fearless? Glad you asked! We’re excited about candidates that:
Organizational and Leadership Role
- Synthesizes business requirements and objectives and drives the development of solutions.
- Collaborates with talented designers, product managers, and fellow engineers to plan and build new features.
- Coaches and mentors others to develop their professional skills.
- Drives all phases of the development lifecycle from task creation to production deployment of new code.
- Designs and implements effective, secure software solutions that meet the business and technology requirements of the project.
- Articulates business needs and translates them into technology solutions.
- Creates technical processes that create testable and maintainable software with minimal technical debt.
- Troubleshoots technical issues in application and infrastructure code.
- Develops and implements plans for the continuous improvement and evolution of the software system.
- Identifies opportunities and articulates suggestions to improve the technology strategies beyond the scope of a team or project.
- Reviews other developers’ code and provides specific, constructive feedback.
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of products/workflows within the businesses they support.
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies:
- Expert in web-development including front-end (browser) and back-end (server) including UI components, client-server integrations, APIs, and data persistence.
- Ability to discuss abstract software development concepts like single-responsibility, cohesion, data immutability, and other paradigm appropriate design patterns.
- Demonstrated interest in and ability to learn new systems and technology quickly.
- Expert in at least one programming language like Node.js, Python, Go, Java 8+, Ruby, etc.
- Proficient with the industry-leading framework(s) for the programming language expertise (Express.js, Gatsby.js, Django, Flasks, Rails, Spring.io, etc).
- Proficient with important libraries and technologies in the ecosystem of programming language expertise.
- Proficient with at least one front-end technology like React, Angular, Vue, Ember, Backbone, Svelte.
- Proficient with building applications in containerized development environments.
- Expert in with advanced git commands like rebasing, squashing, and cherry-picking.
- Ability to assist other engineers with source code management in git.
- Ability to discuss technical tasks and team process topics with team members.
- Basic understanding of container orchestration technologies like Amazon ECS and Kubernetes.
- Basic understanding of serverless concepts and frameworks like Serverless.com and AWS Lambda.
- Basic understanding of cloud platforms like AWS.
- Basic understanding of software infrastructure including network, compute, and data storage resources.
- Basic understanding of securing systems on the application, network, and infrastructure layers.
- Ability to operate and manage work, strategically reason, and build relationships and influence others.
At Fearless, we believe in sharing knowledge, fresh perspectives, and unique interests as individuals and as a company, so we’re also interested to know what makes you tick. We want to know where your interests and passions lie so we can all grow together.
We believe in paying people fairly, so we’ve established a compensation model that ensures everyone at Fearless regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age, nationality, or negotiation skills is given equal pay for equal work.
So, what’s next?
Over the years, we’ve honed a 3-step interview process that helps ensure that every employee we hire is the right fit for us and that we’re the right fit for them. If we think you’re a good fit, we’ll get in touch and start scheduling your interviews!
- Culture Add Conversation – We’re a people-first company, so we always start off by getting to know more about you, how you work, what your career goals are, and what you’re passionate about. This is your opportunity to ask questions and get a feel for Fearless, so don’t be shy!
- Technical/Skills Interview – This is where we get into the nitty gritty of the project. During the Technical Interview, you’ll be interviewed by our Passion Coaches and/or the team’s Project Lead to make sure your skills align with the project requirements.
- Business Interview – At this point, you’ve made it to the final frontier! The Business Interview is when you’ll meet with Fearless leadership to dot the i’s, cross the t’s, and determine whether or not we’ll be moving forward with the hiring process.
Our people make us who we are. We believe that every member of the Fearless team has something to share, and we value the unique viewpoint you’ll bring to our community. But we value your community, too, so we offer fulfilling work that stays in balance with the rest of life. Because everyone has different needs, desires, and goals, our benefits offer the choices and flexibility that our team members need to live well and succeed. Here are a few highlights of our benefits package:
- Flexible schedule
- Family-friendly workplace
- 3 weeks accrued PTO + 1 week sick leave + 10 federal holidays + your birthday off
- 100% coverage of the employee-only premium for HSA, HMO, or PPO plan and Employee Wellness Plan
- Tech, education / training, and snack allowances
- Free parking in downtown Baltimore / public transit coverage
- Safe Harbor 401(k) plan with employer contributions
Fearless is a full-stack digital services firm in Baltimore that delivers sleek, modern, and user-friendly software designed to push the boundaries of possibility. It’s our mission to build software with a soul tools that empower communities and make a difference so we can create a world where good software powers the things that matter.
That’s not our only goal, though. We also strive to create a purple culture that makes our employees excited to come to work every day. That’s why we encourage our employees to pursue their passions, both in and out of the office. With built-in company mentoring, continuing education support, flexible schedules, and a family-friendly work environment, we’ve created a culture that allows our team to thrive professionally and personally.
Fearless believes in equal opportunity employment. We won’t discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, gender, nationality, age, religion, disability, military status, or sexual orientation. As a company and as individuals, we’re committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for our team, our family members, our clients, our subcontractors, and our vendors.