Fully Remote Staff Accountant
Job Locations US
The Fully Remote Staff Accountant reports to the Accounting Manager and performs general and technical accounting support functions. These duties include the preparation of complex journal entries, reconciliations and reporting of financial information to various users. The position monitors compliance with Federal, State, and University laws, regulations, and policies. The position assists with the monthly and year-end close.
OUR MISSION & VALUES
Colorado State University Global is committed to advancing student academic and professional success in a global society, by providing access to dynamic education characterized by excellence, innovative delivery technologies, industry relevance, and strong stakeholder engagement. We continue to thrive and drive our mission forward because we are:
Entrepreneurial – we continually learn, seek opportunities for growth, and believe we can do better with effort and persistence.
Dedicated – we provide exceptional service and support to our stakeholders to drive the mission of the university.
Tenacious – we focus on getting the job done right, take responsibility for our actions, and thrive on achieving results.
Agile – we are flexible in our thinking, focus on solutions, innovative problem-solving, and overcoming obstacles.
Engaged – we collaborate, communicate, and motivate one another to achieve excellence.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in the creation of policies and processes for strong internal controls.
- Prepare and post journal entries as part of the monthly and annual close process.
- Analyze financial data and prepare reports.
- Perform monthly assigned balance sheet reconciliations, analyze and report differences between subledger systems.
- Correct errors in the university accounting system and develop recommendations for process improvements.
- Prepare year-end financial statement exhibits and schedules as required by the Colorado State University System and the Office of State Controller.
- Manage the university’s purchase order and procurement process to include the creation of purchase orders.
- Administrate the university’s travel and expense reimbursements and audits in accordance with CSU Global’s policy and procedures.
- Manage the capital asset and prepaid expense schedules and entries.
- Manage the school store inventory schedules, entries, and sales tax filings.
- When necessary, serve as backup processing routine accounts payable and payroll tasks.
- Ensure that all journal entries, invoices, AP transactions, workpapers, reports, work processes are thoroughly documented and that proper files are maintained in accordance with the University’s record retention policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, independently and as a member of a team, especially in a fast-paced, highly dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) standards, and State Fiscal Rules.
- Proven ability to work effectively with large amounts of data, to drill down into accounting report details, and to make decisions on accounting data within the Federal, state and CSU System guidelines and requirements
- Demonstrated ability to manage vendors and/personnel to deliver financial reports and accounting information on time while enforcing accounting standards and CSU Global policies.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external constituents, including Board members, and audit firms.
- Active Listening – Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking: Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Adaptability/Flexibility – Requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace.
- Time Management & Organizing, Planning & Prioritizing Work – Managing one’s own time and the time of others and developing specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Database user interface Comfortability using technology and is adaptable to quickly learning new software.
- Computer and technology skills required:
- Proficient in cloud-based financial accounting systems,
- Proficient with e-mail and cloud-based document systems (e.g., Google applications), and
- Highly proficient with standard word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software.
QUALIFICATIONS: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or similar fields
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in accounting, preferably in higher education
- Position is fully remote with less than 5% travel to Aurora, Colorado for on-campus activities that may require the individual to attend.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, use hands to touch, handle or feel, and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit, reach with hands and arms.
- Ability to spend long durations of the workday in front of a computer monitor.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
Salary $60,000-$65,000 annually