Staff Engineer, Data Analytics
See yourself at Twilio
Join the team as our next Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
Who we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that help companies and developers worldwide build better applications and customer experiences.
Although we’re headquartered in San Francisco, we have presence throughout South America, Europe, Asia and Australia. We’re on a journey to becoming a globally anti-racist, anti-oppressive, anti-bias company that actively opposes racism and all forms of oppression and bias. At Twilio, we support diversity, equity & inclusion wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we’re looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
About the job
This position is needed to lead BI solution engineering for the CXP Business Intelligence Team.
The Twilio Customer Experience Product team is growing rapidly and looking for a seasoned, curious, and action oriented Senior Business Intelligence Engineer. This role will be a key contributor on the CXP Business Intelligence team and lead the development efforts to expand the use of our underlying data infrastructure and business intelligence platforms. You will build the data products, dashboards, and reporting that drive business decisions across CXP Business Operations including Engineering, Product Management, GTM (Sales, Marketing, Customer Success), and Finance teams.
In this role, you’ll:
- Gather business and functional requirements then translate these into solutions that support the data analytics needs of the business
- Lead data engineering efforts using advanced SQL, ETL, and data warehousing skills to automate and industrialize the data environment for the CXP Business Data Mart
- Be a champion of “data as a product” and strive to build robust and scalable data products
- Build ad-hoc SQL queries as needed to support project needs and complex business analysis
- Serve as primary liaison between the CXP BI Team and the centralized data teams to drive better data literacy across CXP and to continue building the data assets in the CXP Business Data Mart
- Lead engineering efforts to build dashboards and other reporting solutions that support the creation of insights for decision makers
- Be the champion and SME of the BI technology stack striving for excellence in the design and architecture of the data analytics products
- Compose business and technical documentation to improve data literacy across the organization
Not all applicants will have skills that match a job description exactly. Twilio values diverse experiences in other industries, and we encourage everyone who meets the required qualifications to apply. While having “desired” qualifications make for a strong candidate, we encourage applicants with alternative experiences to also apply. If your career is just starting or hasn’t followed a traditional path, don’t let that stop you from considering Twilio. We are always looking for people who will bring something new to the table!
- 5+ years of hands-on experience building data analytics
- 5+ years of hands-on experience with SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Experience writing complex SQL queries and performing detailed business analysis
- Ability to work with large data sets and optimize performance of analytical solutions
- Experience building dashboards and reporting solutions with Tableau, Looker, etc.
- Experience working with business stakeholders and gathering requirements across multiple functional areas (GTM, Finance, Operations, Product, Engineering, etc.)
- Presto SQL, AWS EC2, Azure
- Advanced expertise with Tableau
- Experience with Tableau Server / Online configuration and administration
- Experience with DAG-based open-sourced workflow management solutions like Apache Airflow
- Knowledgeable of Salesforce and the underlying data
*This role will be remote, USA
This position is a remote role but is not eligible to be hired in San Francisco, CA, Oakland, CA, San Jose, CA, or the surrounding areas.*
What We Offer
There are many benefits to working at Twilio, including, in addition to competitive pay, things like generous time-off, ample parental and wellness leave, healthcare, a retirement savings program, and much more. Offerings vary by location.
Twilio thinks big. Do you?
We like to solve problems, take initiative, pitch in when needed, and are always up for trying new things. That’s why we seek out colleagues who embody our values — something we call Twilio Magic. Additionally, we empower employees to build positive change in their communities by supporting their volunteering and donation efforts.
So, if you’re ready to unleash your full potential, do your best work, and be the best version of yourself, apply now!
If this role isn’t what you’re looking for, please consider other open positions.
*Please note this role is open to candidates outside of Colorado, California, New York, and Washington. The information below is provided for candidates hired in those locations only.
The estimated pay ranges for this role are as follows:
- Based in Colorado: $109,000 – $130,000.
- Based in New York or Washington State: $115,000 – $140,000.
- Based in the San Francisco Bay area, California: $120,000 – $160,000
- This role is eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state.
Twilio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Twilio is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Twilio participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Twilio is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at: