Staff Software Engineer
We’re here to make legal help accessible to all. LegalZoom transformed the legal industry with the launch of our online services and groundbreaking technology in 2001. Since then, millions of customers have counted on us to officially start and run businesses, protect brands and intellectual property, and look after loved ones through wills and trusts.
As the industry leader for over 20 years, innovation remains at the center of all we do. We’re creative thinkers and problem solvers with a passion for building legal and tax products that make a positive impact on the world, and we’re always looking for exceptional people to push us further.
With us, you’ll do work that’s as rewarding as it is challenging with a team where every voice matters and diversity, equality, and inclusion are truly embraced. Together, we’ll continue to democratize the law and make a real difference in the lives of millions.
Since March 2020, our Zoomers have worked remotely and reported an overall better work-life balance with more time for family and personal wellness.
At the end of 2021, LegalZoom made the official commitment to being a remote-first company. Remote-first means that there is no expectation that Zoomers come into an office for a fixed number of days outside of those employees identified as essential onsite workers. While we remain a remote-first culture, our local offices have evolved as collaboration spaces for Zoomers to meet and engage in person.
LegalZoom is looking for talented, passionate, and driven engineers to join the our team and help support our mission of ‘Democratizing Law’.
LegalZoom has helped millions of customers become business owners by enabling them to #makeitofficial with business formation solutions such as an LLC or Corporation. These SMBs look to LegalZoom when taking the next steps on their journey of running a business, such as getting the right business licenses, opening a business checking account or creating a new company website – this is where our secure, trusted partner ecosystem intersects with the LZ customer experience, enabling LZ to deliver those customer needs via Strategic Partners.
The ideal candidate should have a strong background in software design, developing and managing the delivery of highly scalable, micro-services driven cloud-based systems, leveraging a combination of Java, Kotlin, Angular, and AWS platforms.
- Design, build, and maintain large-scale services, job pipelines and systems
- Develop and define the backend architecture and tech stack
- Work cross-functionally with many teams: Engineering, product, technical operations, Data Science, etc…
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Have 8+ years of experience in a hands-on software engineering role
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
- Strong coding skills in Java/Kotlin or equivalent for high performant production quality code.
- Work experience in the following technologies: Java, SQL DB, No-SQL DB, Kafka, Hive, Spark, Airflow or equivalent.
- Experienced in architectural patterns of a high-scale distributed products/services, such as well-designed APIs, data pipelines and efficient algorithms
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with design, product and data science partners
For onsite roles or roles that require periodic onsite visits, LegalZoom requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before starting work, unless precluded from doing so by applicable law. The CDC currently defines “fully vaccinated” as two weeks after the second dose for Pfizer and Moderna, and two weeks after the single dose of Johnson & Johnson. LegalZoom will require proof of vaccination before a successful applicant’s first day of work, and will consider requests for exemption from this requirement during the offer phase (1) as a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs where the accommodation would not LegalZoom undue hardship or pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others, or (2) for other reasons under applicable law.
Join us in making a difference as we build our future and help ensure access to professional legal advice to all! LegalZoom is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity, equality, and inclusion, and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. LegalZoom prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.