Hi, I’m Chad, Senior Technical Writer at Customer.io.
I need your help simplifying Customer.io for all our users, whether they’re engineers, marketers, or product managers. I’m looking for someone who enjoys experimenting with new features and finds ways to explain highly technical things in terms our customers can understand.
While this role is rooted in writing traditional documentation, we meet our customers wherever they are. Sometimes, that means helping with in-app copy; other times, it might mean writing a playful video script. In this position, you’ll have the opportunity to write for different mediums and audiences with the same goal in mind: help people succeed with Customer.io.
About Customer.io: Most messages that people receive from businesses are dull, poorly-timed, repetitive, and overbearing. We want to fix that. We offer the industry’s most flexible automation platform for customer communication (email, mobile push, SMS, etc) so that our customers can break out of the ho-hum status quo of messaging automation. Our documentation team’s challenge is to help customers understand how to wield this power—to send messages that are unique, personalized, and reach their audiences at the right time.
As a Technical Writer, you’ll:
- Partner with product development squads consisting of product managers, designers, and engineers to document new features
- Help designers and front-end engineers with in-app copy and ensure consistency with the docs
- Write educational content that supplements the docs such as how-to recipes, getting started guides, and video scripts
- Contribute to API documentation and write simple code samples
- Assist in designing and improving the documentation website
- Gather metrics and feedback about documentation, deriving insights that help us improve over time
- Find innovative ways to explain the product—images, flowcharts, video, gifs, etc
- Be an information architect, organizing docs to help customers find what they need
What we’re looking for:
- You have experience writing documentation in a source-controlled environment
- You can organize information in ways that customers expect and promote searchability
- You can adjust your tone to fit your audience and different mediums
- You’re comfortable working autonomously and asynchronously
- You’re thrive on receiving feedback and capable of incorporating it into your writing
- You thrive with ownership and autonomy: you’re the project manager on your assignments
- You can commit to at least 4 hours of daily overlap with the PST (GMT-8) time zone
What’s the team like?
With you, we’ll be a party of two! Most of your daily work will come from the product development squads you’re paired with. But, as the second member of the docs team, we’ll keep in close contact, provide each other support, and review each others’ work. You’ll have the opportunity to help develop our processes and help foster a culture of documentation contributors as our team and company grow.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 4,300 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $100,000 – $105,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we encourage 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar-for-dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- 1 annual company retreat per year and opportunities to meet in smaller groups throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.