Technical Writer, Cloud
Remote North America
The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The MongoDB Documentation team is a diverse and highly technical group of engineers who develop and maintain the documentation for the MongoDB product family. Our mission is to help developers and administrators successfully use MongoDB products by providing outstanding documentation. The MongoDB Documentation team is a part of the MongoDB Engineering organization and is tightly integrated with the engineering teams responsible for each product.
The Cloud docs team helps engineers and administrators successfully use MongoDB Cloud products and integrations by providing outstanding documentation for the following industry-leading products and services:
- MongoDB Atlas, the cloud-hosted, fully managed database as a service
- MongoDB Atlas Search, embedded full-text search in MongoDB Atlas
- MongoDB Atlas Data Lake, an analytic storage service optimized for flat or nested data with low latency query performance
- MongoDB Data Federation, query, transform, and move data across source clusters and formats
- MongoDB Cloud Manager, the cloud-hosted database management service
- MongoDB Ops Manager, the on premises database management service
- MongoDB Kubernetes Operator and Atlas Kubernetes Operator, orchestrate MongoDB pods and their Cloud Manager, Ops Manager, or Atlas configuration
- MongoDB Charts, create visualizations for data in MongoDB
We take a hands-on approach to learning complex technical topics and building engineer-focused content on:
- Distributed systems in the cloud
- REST APIs
- Full-text search
- Kubernetes orchestration
- Backup and restoration
- Creating and modifying database deployments
- Enterprise-grade security
- Managing high availability and scalability in MongoDB clusters
Your work will empower a global community of millions of engineers ranging from experienced MongoDB users to those new to MongoDB.
This role will be based remotely in North America.
Candidates must have 2+ years of combined experience across any of the following roles: technical writer, developer advocate, software engineer, and/or product management. Beyond industry experience, we are looking for someone who is:
- Experienced helping engineers understand product concepts, perform procedures, and use REST APIs
- A critical reader and an excellent writer
- Experienced deploying and troubleshooting instances of software management tools locally and on one or more of the major cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experienced testing and troubleshooting new product software
Experience with the following is a plus:
- Kubernetes orchestration
- Apache Lucene or full-text search
- Docs as code processes
- Work with technical and non-technical teams to meet the documentation needs of our readers
- Research product features and validate with diligent testing
- Produce technically accurate documentation that users value
- Contribute feedback to the team, through copy review and planning discussions
In 3 months:
- You are comfortable with our toolchain and writing style
- You can complete small to medium complexity writing assignments
- You are getting to know our Cloud and Enterprise Tools engineers and are getting comfortable with participating in intra- and inter-team discussions
- You completed the required technical training and courses required of MongoDB Engineering
In 6 months:
- You create or update documentation for features and write tutorials
- You possess a working knowledge of the products and know who to follow up with when you need to learn more
- You have adapted to our style of writing and your work has minimal grammar, syntax, or spelling errors
- You can review the work of your peers without reservation and can learn from what they have written
In 12 months:
- You actively take on documenting entire feature sets, complex tutorials, and high level concepts
- You know how much work you can manage and are contributing at a healthy pace
- You provide quality copy and technical reviews for your team members
- You and your manager have discussed your career trajectory and growth opportunities
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.